I was fortunate to grow up in a home with two loving parents who were committed to each other and to God. They weren't perfect, and they knew that very well, but they were faithful. When I think of my dad, there are so many things I admire, but here are just three (and like a good preacher's daughter, they all start with the same letter ;)
Hard Work
My dad grew up on a farm and the work ethic that was instilled in him as a child has never left him as an adult. Working as a pastor in a small church doesn't exactly come with a fat benefits package. I can remember when he began serving as a pastor in one town, the church was in financial trouble and couldn't even afford to pay him at first. He didn't complain, he just worked extra hours doing construction work on the side to help pay the bills.
He built two houses for our family with his own hands and has spent all his life working long hours at more than one job to make ends meet. Though we never had much money, I never felt deprived as a child. We always had food and clothing and my dad's example of hard work and self discipline has made an impact on each of his four children.
Humor
If you've met my dad, then you know he has a great sense of humor. He doesn't take himself too seriously and is constantly cracking jokes that will make you groan and smile at the same time. When we were growing up he was always making up funny stories (ask him to tell you about Hiram and Henry sometime!) He's always had the ability to make me laugh, even on my worst days.
Humility
If there has ever been an example of humble, servant leadership in my life, it has been my dad. He served as a pastor for over 25 years in various small town churches. He was never too proud to do the small things that needed to be done. And he never took credit for the work God was doing. His was not an explosive, rapidly growing ministry that bore the marks of what might be considered success in earthly terms. He didn't grow a mega church or build an empire of churches but he gave faithfully of his time and energy, constantly listening and counseling and preaching and discipling.
When I was in college, I can remember hearing people ask what my parents had done to raise children who didn't rebel - weren't preacher's kids supposed to be bad apples? My dad's answer was always the same. "I have no idea. It's only by the grace of God, because we made a lot of mistakes." And he meant it sincerely every time. He didn't view his "success" or effectiveness as a parent as HIS at all, and recognized that apart from the work of the Holy Spirit, his efforts would have been fruitless.
Even after being led away from a formal pastoral ministry, he has never stopped serving. He now works for not nearly enough money using his construction skills to serve as the head of maintenance at a Bible college. He and my mom have a revolving door of college students who they've welcomed into their home and lives at various times over the past ten years. We joke that they have never REALLY had an empty nest, as theyve used their home to provide for kids they see who have a need. And he's spent almost a year and a half serving as the temporary pastor for a church in a small town nearby. After working more than 40 hours a week at his day job, he spends his "spare" time preparing sermons, praying, leading Bible studies, knocking on doors to reaching out to people in the community.
People so often look to the outgoing, charismatic leaders of the evangelical world and admire them - and there isn't necessarily anything inherently wrong with that. But I think so often we overlook the value of quiet, faithful, committed service to the Lord. It might not be as flashy or exciting, but it is no less important. Someday I believe there will be a line of people in heaven who had seeds planted in their lives by my dad that he never had the opportunity to see take root and grow.
I could go on and on about the lessons I've learned from my dad - the way he taught me to respect the authorities in my life, even if they hadn't necessarily earned it.
The way he challenged me to think from a different perspective when I was complaining about a teacher at school - he never let me get away with blaming other people for my problems without forcing me to look at the part I played in the equation.
He gave me a good dose of tough love when I needed it and wasn't afraid to speak hard words to me if necessary. And yet, I never once doubted his love for me. He was strict, but the rules he set forth and the punishment he delivered came within the context of a loving relationship.
But most of all, the thing I appreciate about my dad - about both of my parents - is that they told me about Jesus. Through their faithful teaching and the work of the Holy Spirit, I came to know the One who made me and loved me and sacrificed to save me. There is no greater gift they could have given me.
Dad, I love you so much and am so thankful for the privilege I had to be raised by you! I'll always be your little girl...and your favorite daughter ;) Happy birthday!



1 comment:
I can't agree more with everything you said about your dad...he is one of our favorites! His humor especially we miss...too many more years with your dad!!
The Riggs family :-)
Post a Comment