I really struggle with the desire for a simplified, less busy life in a culture that practically demands busy-ness. We could cut some things out...but what? How do we go about determining what are God ordained activities for our particular stage of life and what aren't? How do we engage with our neighbors and others in the world around us if we aren't participating in the activities they are? Must we be swept along with the busy tide of the world in order to reach it? How do i balance ministering to my family with ministering to those outside of it and not make either ministry into an idol? These are questions I don't have answers to, but that I am pondering this rainy day.
I know that "the good old days" are a myth. But there is something in me that yearns for a time when people were less connected digitally, and more connected personally - where people sat on their porches and talked or just dropped in for surprise visits to their neighbors from time to time.
What are we losing with our constant participation in scheduled and organized activities, where there is little opportunity to sit and quiet our hearts?
One thing I am grateful for is our decision to homeschool - though it may, on the surface seem to increase my busy-ness with the need to plan lessons, etc. etc. - it also has done something wonderful in that it forces us to be at home more, during the day. For those hours of the day I am focused on my girls, giving them my undivided attention and the conversations we have had, the quality along with quantity of time has been good for our souls. And it is good for little Luke, to have the blessing of restful naps in his own bed, to get into a rhythm of living rather than rushing. Our nights and weekends are bursting to overflowing with activity but our mornings and afternoons are quieter and more scheduled, and for that I am thankful.
Ironically, I've just recently taken a new opportunity that is going to put a little strain on my schedule - although hopefully not too much. After a couple of years of considering and waiting for the time to be right, I decided to become an independent consultant for Tastefully Simple! My sponsor, Kim, has been (gently and very graciously) asking me for some time and she finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse ;) They've got some great incentives going on so I decided to give it a try.
Because we homeschool and I stay at home all day, I have been looking for opportunities to get outside my four walls a little more and interact with new people. I'm praying this will be a good way to develop relationships with others in our community. I know it's going to take some trial and error to figure out how much I can schedule without sacrificing the precious relationships with the people in my home, and it will likely be something that I can only pursue to a smaller degree right now while we are in this exhausting "little people" stage of parenting, but I'm praying for God's wisdom and direction in managing it and my other responsibilities. And, though we don't need the extra income, we can hopefully use it to reach some extra financial goals, or to be a blessing to others. Right now my goal is to have two parties per month. We will see how that plays out!
In other unrelated news, this morning I tripped on a toy that one of the girls left on the stairs and fell super hard on my tailbone. It is reaaaallly sore...as in, I can't sit on it and am even struggling to walk or bend without it hurting...does this mean I broke it? My light Googling this morning basically told me nothing except that it could be either bruised or broken. And that there is no treatment for a broken tailbone anyway, other than time and painkillers, and possibly one of those embarrassing little donut pillows to sit on. So.....yeah. Awesome. What is it with me sustaining embarrassing injuries when my children are infants?
So tell me...do you feel busier than you'd like? What do you do to stop the crazy train? How do you manage stress? I pray. And eat Oreos ;)



1 comment:
Yes, friend! We are definitely in that stage of being super crazy busy, especially since school started. My days are jammed pack, but in a good way mostly. I love the schedule and routine that homeschooling brings. I am beginning to do volunteer office work at our church-just on Sundays though and we have small group on Tuesdays and the older 2 start AWANAs tomorrow. Plus, all of the kids and I are sick-yuck! And Travis works late or from home every evening for 2 weeks every month. Then there is Brooklyn, who is a sweetie but a huge challenge and makes me feel like I suck at being a mom b/c I can't figure her out! And I have cut out so many things from my diet to help her, and she still struggles! Ugh! Sorry to go on and on...suffice to say I get it! :) And I get through by having my morning alone times with God-loving it! I'm doing the Loving God Greatly-going through Esther-and journaling! It has changed, for the better, my time with Him! So yes, God....He is how I make it through! :)
Post a Comment