Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 22, 2014

Weekend Update

Man...let me tell you...September is kicking mah BOOTY! I feel like the entire month has been me trying to keep several balls in the air...and dropping most of them. I'm pretty much an unorganized, scatterbrained MESS these days, can't get caught up on laundry or housecleaning, doing everything at the last second. I just wonder, how many times can you tell someone, "I'm not usually this unorganized," before you realize that, uh, you ARE usually this unorganized!

Anyway...trying to keep things in perspective. Someday I'll get more sleep and be a little more on top of my game...right? Mamas of three can you confirm or deny? :)

This past week/weekend was particularly long as Dave had to work a beast of a schedule. It only happens once or twice now (although he used to work this once a month!) but when it does, it's a doozy! He worked late (as in, till 10 pm) both Monday and Friday nights and then turned around and worked alllll day Saturday. Which means I was single parenting it for a majority of the week...I have major respect to all the single moms and dads out there. It is not for the faint of heart!

I always like to try to plan something "special" for Friday night when he works this schedule - as much for myself as for the girls! We have been reading Anne of Green Gables and I told the girls that if we finished the book, we could watch the movie. We weren't quite finished by Friday, but close enough :)

We ordered cheese pizza with extra cheese



And snuggled up in the couch. Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time FAVORITE movies. I've watched it dozens of times and can practically quote it. It's one of the few movies that I think truly represents the book well - they did such a great job casting it! I was so super excited to get to share it with my girls, I knew they would love it, and they did!

After my pizza I folded some laundry. 



Too bad there's like, four more baskets and a full hamper besides...ugh! Laundry wins, every time!

(I know, I know...first world problems! "We just have sooo many clothes, I can't keep them all clean with my fancy machine that does alllll the work for me!")

Anywhoo...after pizza I popped some popcorn. Favorite treat: regular white popcorn drizzled with REAL butter and sprinkled with sea salt. Perfection!



Dave's sister gave us these fun popcorn bags for Christmas last year. Just like at the movie theater!

(Yes, Sophia is wearing a pajama top and a cheerleading skirt. Choose your battles :)



This little man wasn't very interested in the movie ;) He got a bath and then got all snuggly in his PJ's



Sidenote: I've thought for some time that Luke, minus the hair looks an awful lot like Lily as a baby. Check it out:



I sort of underestimated the length of the movie - it said 195 minutes and somehow I converted that to two and a half hours...instead of almost THREE and a half hours (hey, I'm sleep deprived over here, and my mental math skills are a wee bit rusty ;) So bedtime was a smidge later than normal!

Saturday morning we all got ready and headed out to run some errands. We went to the mall to get a cute hat for Luke for family pictures


Then we made a stop at Bath and Body Works. I had a gift card that I've been saving for the fall. I love their fall scented soaps and lotions!

While we were there I found a candle with a unique scent that I loved:


And it was actually $.50 cheaper to buy TWO candles than to buy just one...so I got another one, because, duh!



We dropped Lily off at a friend's birthday party and then Soph, Luke and I headed to pick up Lily's birthday presents!

By the time the party was over it was too late for a nap for the girls so we came home and I let them have "rest time" with a movie. They picked...Anne of Green Gables! :) I got Luke fed and down for a nap and then I started cleaning and fall decorating!



I'm not done yet, so I'm not going to post any more pictures yet :)

Dave came home, we ate supper, did baths and bedtime and then we crashed on the couch.

Sunday I was determined to actually make it to Sunday School in the morning since we've been AWOL basically ever since Luke was born. I got up extra early and got the kids all ready. Luke then promptly spit up allll over his shirt while I was in the shower so Dave changed him and then he had some play time in his play mat. He is really into batting/grabbing things now. I love the look of concentration he gets. Playing is hard work!



We got home from church and after lunch and clean up the kids all went down for naps...and so did I! I slept HARD for a good two and a half hours! It felt soooo good!

After bedtime that night we got some things ready for Lily's birthday! Dave made some of his special blueberry muffins and I wrapped presents


And TODAY this girl turns SIX!



Love you so much, sweet girl!! Can't wait to celebrate your life tonight!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Parenting three either gets easier with time or I've adjusted to our constant state of mildly controlled chaos. I'm hoping it's really the former! At least now I'm getting {mostly} full nights of sleep!

Looks like you're doing a great job. One day at a time. That's pretty much my motto for life now. :)

 
Images by Freepik