Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 30, 2009

An Ode to My Jobs

Before you read this I feel the need to write a little disclaimer – if you don’t know me very well, and have up to this point considered me to be a fairly normal person, I am probably about burst your little bubble – because the fact of the matter is, sometimes I can be weird, and today is just one of those days…read on :)

Today is my last day of work. My LAST DAY OF WORK. Pinch me, I think I’m dreaming! I really don’t think it has sunk in yet.

It occurred to me that I have had a job every year since I was 14 years old. I started to think last night about all the various jobs I’ve done. Among them are:
  • A cashier/sacker/stock girl at Prrrriiiice Chopperrrrr in Louisburg, KS (and yes, you have to say it that way)

  • A server at Famous Dave’s (that’s where I learned to love me some BBQ :)

  • A phone banker (read telemarketer) at Wells Fargo Financial

  • An Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Technology Project Management at Wells Fargo Financial (I like to say it that way because it sounds important – but really I was just a secretary :)

  • A member of a traveling “Summer Ministry Team” from my Bible college one summer

  • And finally, a secretary at a middle school (which strange as it may sound, is something I have always wanted to do!)
In honor of my last day working outside of the home, I’ve written a little ditty I like to call “Ode to My Jobs”…you are going to see very soon why I did not do well in the poetry unit of my high school English class :)


I’ve had many jobs, both good and bad
now that I’m done, part of me is sad.
Some jobs were dirty, some were fun,
some were silly, some were dumb.
Some made me laugh, some made me cry,
some made me want to poke out my eyes.
I’ve had good bosses and bad ones,
weird ones and rad ones.
I’ve made some friends that I’ll never forget,
and I know I may not be finished yet.
Someday I might
come back again,
but for now I’ll be working at home, my friends.
My work will change, but it will never go away,
I think God gave us work so we could appreciate our play :)
I’m staying at home and I’m really glad,
though the work might be harder
and the pay is bad,
I can’t wait to kiss my little girl all day,
to keep the house clean (ha!),
and at the end of the day,
To greet my hubby with a smile and a kiss,
and say ‘How was your day dear, mine was pure bliss!
I organized the closets, and cleaned all the rooms,
now that you’re home, there’s nothing to do,
but sit on the couch and enjoy a good talk,
eat some dinner and take a walk.”
So to everyone I’ve worked with,
I’ll miss you immensely,
Some poems end with a rhyme
but this one…doesn’t.” :)

In all seriousness though…I know life won’t be perfect now -- there will still be days when the house doesn’t get cleaned, when I feel like I will go crazy if I don’t talk to another adult, when I’ll look at my pile of laundry and wistfully dream about hiring someone to do it all for me…but I know, WITHOUT A DOUBT that this is the job that God has given to me to me to do right now. So I’m going to do it with all my heart.

I’m thankful that I can look back on all my various “careers” with fond memories – but I’m looking forward now to all the many precious memories I will be making for and with my family – Dave, Lily, and all of our future children!

No, I won’t be making any money…but I am storing up “…a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.(Luke 12:33-34)” Money and possessions and “stuff” – that is all going to burn up someday, but the investment I am making in the life of my family – that will produce a rich reward that lasts into eternity!

So….

I’m moving forward, I won’t look back,
I’m trusting in God to provide for all we lack.”


There. I finished with a rhyme. I feel better. :)

Happy Friday to all!

P.S. Just in case anyone has forgotten, here is a picture of the adorable little reason I am staying at home :)

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik