Today is inauguration day 2009. It is a historic day -- no need to dispute that. Barack Hussein Obama is about to become the first African American president in the history of the US. Let me just say UP FRONT that I have no problem with an African American being president. So please don't read this post and accuse me of being a racist.
I do however have a lot of problems with all of the worship that is going on around the country today. I can think of no better word to describe it. That's what it is. Last night, I flipped on the TV at around 5 and caught the very end of Oprah. She is absolutely beside herself, naturally. Anyway, the show was ending and she was saying, "I just want to wish everyone a joy filled inauguration day. And my thoughts will be with each of you as we gather tomorrow with our families and celebrate this special day." If I hadn't know what the day was, I might have thought I was watching a Christmas rerun. "But that's just Oprah," you say. "She campaigned for him. Of course she's happy. Of course she's excited." You're right. But unless you've had your head in the ground the past couple of weeks, you will realize that it isn't just Oprah. It is practically everyone in the mainstream media.
What I saw on TV after Oprah was what disturbed me the most, and what confirmed to me that the correct word for the mass hysteria surrounding this inauguration is worship. I saw a video on the news of a life size sculpture of Obama riding through town on a donkey, and a lady passing out palm fronds to people on the sidelines. Very eery. For those that don't realize, that is a direct attempt to mimic Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem that is depicted in the New Testament.
Look, I'm not going to make it a secret -- I did not vote for Obama. But even if I did, I would find something seriously wrong with this sort of worship and awe of the guy. He is our President, he is not our God. We pray for him, we don't pray to him. Yes, this is historic. But let's remember -- he hasn't done anything yet. Yes, he won a presidential election. But so have 43 other guys in the history of our country. And yes, he is an African American. But if we are really a nation that "doesn't see color", shouldn't the fact that he is black not be a big deal?
Honestly...I think people are almost setting him up for failure. He has some MIGHTY BIG expectations to live up to. And since he IS human, chances are, he's not going to be able to do everything people want him to. Maybe he will be a great president. But I'm not ready to crown him king of the world yet like so many others seem to be.
I know I'm not the only one who feels this way...but the media sure makes it seems that way. He's their guy, and since they control the airwaves, they get to choose to show 24/7 coverage of the inauguration, etc. But I don't have to join in -- so instead of gluing myself to the TV or even listening to talk radio, I think what I'm going to do today is something every Christian in the nation ought to be doing -- for this and for every President -- I'm going to spend time on my knees praying... to the One and Only One who deserves this kind of praise. Thank you Lord, that our hope is not in politics or in a person, but in the Person of Jesus Christ -- God as a man!
Have a blessed inauguration day ;)
Until next time...
Jan 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
You definitely AREN'T the only person feeling this way. Well put!
Post a Comment