I can appreciate a piece of classical music and turn around and hear a piece with an electric guitar that I like just as much.
I love the rich harmonies of a quartet or an acapella group but my ears perk up just as much to the beat of a rap song (though I would consider myself more of a Beyonce girl than say, 50 Cent ;) I’m sure your jaws all just hit your chest with that admission :)
I’m not a music buff by ANY stretch of the imagination. My knowledge of music is limited – I just know when I hear something that has a sound I like. But what I love the most is the kind of song that has that perfect combination of music and lyrics.
Casting Crowns is one of my favorite bands for that very reason. I like their style and their songs catch my ear because I like how they sound – and then BAM they hit me with their powerful words. One of their songs that I heard on the radio recently has been swirling around in my head for a couple of days now. The song is called, “Slow Fade”. Many of you have heard it, but if you haven’t it’s worth a listen:
The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you’re thinking,
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking…
It’s a slow fade when you give yourself away.
It’s a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray.
People never crumble in a day…it’s a slow fade.
How many times do I let things into my mind and think, “I can ignore that little innuendo on the sitcom I love to watch” or “I know the words to this song are less than edifying – but I’m strong enough to hear it without letting me affect me.”
How often do I forget that, “The journey from my mind to my hands is shorter than I’m thinking…” That wrong thoughts really do lead to wrong actions. I might look in judgment at someone and think, “How could someone ever (fill in the blank)?” I tend to forget that it’s rarely a jump but more of a series of baby steps. How many men and women have failed to stop those “harmless thoughts” and ended up in bed with someone other than their spouse? They never intended to let things get that far.
I have been reflecting on what the Bible has to say on the topic. Some verses God has brought to my mind:
- For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:13b-15)
- So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (1 Corinthians 10:12-13)
- Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil. (Proverbs 4:23-27)
I need to remember that I AM NOT IMMUNE TO ANY SIN. When I fail to read my Bible or spend time with the Lord during the week, when I choose to watch a show with questionable content or listen to music that takes my thoughts in the wrong direction – those all seem like small decisions. But they can affect my life in a big way.
Have you ever heard the analogy of the boiling frog? It’s not original with me, but it goes something like this: Because frogs are cold-blooded, their body temperature changes with the temperature that surrounds them. Put them in a pot of lukewarm water and sloooowly turn the heat up. They won’t notice the temperature change until it’s too late. They could have jumped to safety long before they reached the boiling point. But they ignore the little changes and before they know it, they’re dinner.
The “little things” matter. Oh, how much more discipline I need in my life in the “small stuff”!! I don’t want Satan to be eating my “frog legs” for dinner someday, and thinking, “Ha…if only she would have jumped out of the pot when she had the chance.”
Oh be careful little eyes what see
Oh be careful little ears what you hear
Oh be careful little lips what you speak
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little Amy, what you think...
Until next time…



No comments:
Post a Comment