Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Mar 30, 2009

Decorating Sense

Well, I have to say that accesories are apparently a MUCH more interesting topic than I thought! Good to know :) I will be sure to keep you posted on if I ever end up buying a yellow purse...or a purse of ANY actual color for that matter :) This might be the season that I go out on a limb! I also have to say that I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is a bit of a timid accesorizer...

I mean, I get the idea of a "statement purse" or a "statement necklace"...I just don't want the statement I make to be, "I have no idea what I'm doing here." I think with a little help, and perhaps a gentle shove in the right direction, there might still be hope for me. :)

Which kind of in a round-a-bout way leads me to today's topic -- decorating. It's basically "accesorizing" your house.

Up to this point I think my decorating has been what I would call "accidental". I have never lived in a place where painting the walls was an option. And I have never owned a piece of furniture that was not given to us for free when we got married. In fact, most of my decorations are things we've been given, not things we have bought. I think (hope) I've done a fairly decent job of putting it all together...

But now that we have a house I'm about to enter new territory...I'm excited, but I'm also a leetle unsure of myself.

We've decided to purchase some furniture for the living room and move our current furniture to the basement. We went to a local furniture store this weekend and....drum roll please...we bought a couch! We pretty much knew what we were looking for -- brown leather. It's versatile, it's classic, it's durable, it's easy to clean. We found one with the right style for the right price and of the right quality. That was the easy part.

Now comes the hard part -- the "accessorizing". The idea I had was to do browns and blues. We found an area rug -- and I'm gonna ask you all for your opinions here on what we got. Here's the rug:

I am still on the fence about this. It doesn't quite go with the picture I had in my mind of what kind of rug we would get. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm just not sure...Dave really likes it, and we do already have it on the floor at our house because the nice furniture store lady said she would let us try it out and see what we thought. So what do you all think? If we went with this rug, I would maybe get pillows that look something like this:









However, I also like this rug that I found online -- I think I like this one a little bit better, Dave is not so sure...mostly because we already have a rug on our living room floor that he thinks is just fine and does not care to have to roll up and take back :-/



What do you all think? About the rugs, the pillows, the color scheme....even possible paint colors. I am open to suggestions :)

5 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Okay....love the recent design topics :)
I agree with you on the first rug. I'm on the fence. Realllly like the 2nd rug. The tipping point for me would be the pillows.
If you love the pillows, then your answer is easy--2nd rug. The circles on the pillow fight with the straight lines on the 1st rug. My opinion, and I haven't seen them in person. Sorry for the long comment :P

Sonya said...

I love the pillows. I think, if you choose the pillows, the 1st rug is too "random." The pattern in the 1st rug, well, there really isnt one. Anyway, thats just my opion. I hope I could be of some help.

Lacey said...

Amy - I really like either rug. I'm going to put in my opinion on paint colors. I think you should do a light blue from the rug (whichever you chose). It looks great with the brown and it's not too crazy.

Megan Epley said...

I'm going to make things more tough. I think the pillows with the circles look better with the first rug than the second. To me, the circles are too close but different enough from the second rug. :) Good luck!

Fritz and Amy said...

"With those pillows the second rugs better" -Fritz
"I like the design of the 2nd rug more. Not too busy but you have the accent colors that you want."-Amy

 
Images by Freepik