Seven days.
Seven days without rain and what was once a lush green expanse of grass has turned into a dry, patchy brown lawn.
Just seven days. That’s all it takes for plants to start drooping.
They need the water. It refreshes and revives them. It gives them life.
I’m like those plants in a lot of ways. I need water to live – not just physically, but spiritually.
It amazes me how just a few days without spending time in His Word can leave my soul parched and drooping.
I never intend to neglect it. But I let life get in the way and before I know it, I’ve gone seven days – or more – without “rain”. Oh sure, I’m getting the occasional sprinkle from listening to a sermon on Sunday morning, or a discussion at our Bible study. But I know in my heart of hearts that this isn’t enough. I need more than a sprinkle or a sip. I need to dip my cup into the pitcher full of God’s Word every morning. Nothing else will quench my thirst.
Today I woke up grumpy for no particular reason. I was crabby with Dave. I was impatient with Lily.
And as I sat there staring out the window at our brown grass wondering, “What is wrong with me?” it hit me. How long has it been since I spent time with the Lord? How long have I been without rain?
Too long.
So if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a husband to apologize to, a baby girl to kiss, and a long overdue “watering” session with my Bible and my God.
As the deer pants for the water
So pants my soul for You, O God.
Psalm 42:1



2 comments:
Wow, you should be a ladies' retreat speaker with your great analogies. Isn't it interesting how skipping out on time with God makes us crabby and irritable (at least for me?) It makes me wonder how unbelievers can ever be truly happy.
Thanks Amy for such a challenging post! It is so easy to get caught up in all "we have to do," and neglect what we really need to do...everyday! Thanks for being real and sharing your heart!
Post a Comment