Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 29, 2009

A Party Fit For A Princess

As you know, Saturday was a big day 'round here. We had ourselves a little shindig in honor of a very special girl and her first birthday.

And as you know, I was a teensy weensy bit nervous about making the cake. Not the baking part of it so much, but the decorating and making it look all purty and whathaveyou.

You all were so kind and gave me such lovely assurances on Friday that everything would be fine and I thank you for that, because you know what? You were right. Everything was fine.

In fact, it was more than fine -- it was GREAT. It was by far the best cake decorating experience I have ever had. So...you wanna see for yourselves how everything went?

Princess Lily, awaiting the arrival of her loyal subjects


Her royal throne


Voila...the cake!



Sitting on daddy's lap to open presents
 
She just wasn't sure what to think about all the attention and presents at first...


...but pretty soon she warmed up to the idea!



It's something of a family tradition that whenever we get together and open presents, be it birthday or Christmas, someone will always start a wrapping paper war. The culprit this time was my nephew Tyson -- here he is mid-throw :)


I had been working all week to teach her the sign for "Thank you" -- it worked! Here she is telling everyone thank you for her presents :)
 

Finally...time to eat cake!


"Can I touch this?"


"Hmmm..."


"Hey Mikey...she likes it!"



Can I just say I had SO.MUCH.FUN planning this party? The little girly girl in me just squealed at all the pink foo foo princess decorations. Thank you Lord for giving me a baby girl!

Thank you Lord for giving me this baby girl...and her handsome daddy. Thank you Lord for our little family.



The End
{Pass the birthday cake!}
Photobucket




13 comments:

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

That cake is adorable! Great job!

Joel said...

Marie Rockwell North Ninth, I love your hair! That cake looks so cute - where did you get the idea/supplies for the foofooness? I love all the pink! :)

This Heavenly Life said...

What a perfect party! I love all the fabric fluffed out around the cake - so pretty :) As is your hair! Who needs a hair dryer when it looks that good alone?

Anonymous said...

your blog is simply adorable and so was the party. The cake actually looked similar to our wedding cake and it turned our beautiful. Good work mom!

You have a gorgeous family. :)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Nicely done!! What a fun party! Lily reaction to cake looks similar to Hayden's...just a liiiittle unsure there :)
The cake is awesome!! Very fun!

Mandi said...

I am crying. Yep, tears. This is just wonderful and I know I barely know you but I am so proud of you...and SO inspired!

peter marie said...

Great party!! And what an adorable little one year old.

The cake turned out perfectly too. Glad it was a success!

une autre mère said...

Super cute cake! I LOVE the idea of using ribbon and tulle! I might have to steal that one sometime...

And my offer for you to borrow my hairdryer no longer stands as your hair is SUPER cute all curly! You should wear it like that more often! But if you're desperate, you're still welcome to borrow it of course.

Anonymous said...

You guys are SUCH a cute family! Happy birthday Lily!

And the cake looks AMAZING!!!

Sarah said...

Fun! You did a wonderful job...and I love the little Tutu around the cake...so cute! :D Also...your hair looks adorable all scrunchy! Who needs a blow-dryer, right? ;)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh my goodness!!! It's all so beautiful. I was doing pretty good with the four boys/no girls thing, but now I am getting a little wistful... I think that my next little boy birthday party will have to involve at least a little bit of tulle. I'll just have to hide it from Dave. :)

Lily is a DOLL!! Wow, you must take so many pictures of her. :)

Heather said...

Oh what a great party! I have been waiting all weekend to see how it all turned out and it looks just funtastic! You did great and you all look great! Happy Birthday Lily and here's to miss Amy for making it through your first year of motherhood! Congrats!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh my! I wonder if I can pull off 2 cakes that look that good in November!? Your little love looks sooo cute!!

 
Images by Freepik