Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Oct 26, 2009

M, M, & M: Sistahs Before Mistahs



For some people, love comes swiftly, like getting hit over the head with a ton of bricks. They glimpse each other from across the room and in an instant they are swept off their feet. Love at first sight.

For others, love comes softly. A smile, a laugh, a shared opinion. Little moments of friendship blossom into the beautiful flower of love.

That's how it happened for Dave and I.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I graduated from high school in May of 2002, and unlike many seniors, I was ready for college almost the second I flung my cap in the air.

I was headed to a tiny Bible college in suburban Iowa which I realize sounds like a terribly exciting and dangerous place full of adventure *cough* but in reality, it was a nice, quiet, safe place where I would get my first taste of independence.

Well, as independent as you can get while attending a school that has an 11:00 curfew and a classroom dress code that includes ankle skirts and pantyhose.

If you asked me, I would have told you that I wanted to wait things out, not get involved with anybody right away, develop good friendships, and just stay away from all of the boys for awhile.

Yeah. Right.

As much as I tried to downplay it I was excited -- thrilled -- to be in a place where there were boys! New boys! Boys who loved God! And *cross my fingers* cute boys!

If I had my way, I would have met my future mate the second my feet hit campus dirt, but God had different plans. In His infinite wisdom He knew He had a lil' bizness to take care of in my relationship with Him before I was ready for a relationship with anybody else.

And looking back, I wouldn't change it for a second. That first year I made friendships like I had never had before -- and haven't had since. I still treasure the times I spent with those girls making prank calls, giggling, ordering pizza at midnight, giggling, making up stupid dances, giggling, taking road trips, giggling, and staying up till all hours of the night talking about boys studying ;)

They are the kind of friendships that can only come by living with each other. Sharing the everyday moments -- the ordinary stuff that life is made of. We spent time together that I otherwise wouldn't have had if I had been dating someone.

Across campus, my future husband was forging friendships of his own...only with less giggling and more pizza.

And it wouldn't be long before our paths would cross...but that's a story for another day ;)

Head to Rachel's for more M,M and M!


Photobucket

10 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Glad you're back!!
The rule wasn't ANKLE skirts, btw...that's just what we chose to wear ;) Unless they changed some anatomy thing on me, anyway....I think those are knees ;)

I totally remember thinking @ orientation maybe my husband was there.....turns out ...he was!!

Mandi said...

I am SO glad you are back :)
And.. really into this story... so cute. I think our "meeting husbands" story is similar, including the skirts to ankles thing :)

Heather said...

Welcome back... you were missed!

Sarah said...

I love envisioning this whole thing...my favorite part..."less giggling and more pizza." :) That's just too true!

Jamie said...

Sounds like you were building a great foundation before dating. Lots of fun and friendships...I pray for those kind of relationships for my daughter too.

Kelly said...

Welcome back! I missed you, but hope you've been having a good break! Wow, your story is awesome. I went to Bob Jones University (don't know if you've heard of it before) and although the dress code wasn't as strict (our skirts just had to be below the knee :) it sounds very similar. Those college years were so fun. I made so many wonderful friends! Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!

Anonymous said...

I have missed reading your blog and am so excited to read about your love story. :)

This Heavenly Life said...

Hi Amy! *waving*

This was a wonderful post - I'm so interested in how you two met. And I'm so glad you're back! (You are back, right?)

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! I can't wait to read about the "paths crossing"!!! :)

peter marie said...

This is such a cute idea!

Those college girlfriends are the best. I have great friends now too, but there's something about having to live with someone and share every little thing. It bonds you for life!

Kind of like a husband too. :)

 
Images by Freepik