Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Nov 17, 2009

Hypocrisy

Since getting married, I've learned a few things about myself {just a few}.

For one thing, I apparently need more sleep than the average person. Or at least more sleep than my husband. He swears I have the internal clock of a ninety year old woman.

While Dave can get by on 6 or 7 hours just fine, I need somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 or 12 in order to be fully functional. Ok, maybe not 12 -- I'm kidding {sort of}

I could go to bed every night at 8:30 or 9 and be happy as a clam. Really. Unfortunately, Dave always wants to stay up later than that. And since I have a hard time going to sleep without him {I don't remember how I did it when I was single} this means that nearly every night ends with me begging Dave to come to bed with me and Dave rolling his eyes and trying to convince me that 8:30 is not the normal bedtime of a 20- something married couple.

This was our conversation the other night.

Me: {jokingly} I'm going to bed. You need to go too.

Dave: {kidding back} I don't need you to tell me when to go to bed. You're not my mom.

Me: {still teasing} Well someone's got to. You stayed up too late last night.

Dave: {giving it right back to me} Whatever. I got plenty of sleep.

Me: No you didn't. You woke up late and didn't do your morning workout.

Dave: {pause} And did you wake up for your morning workout?

Silence. Crickets chirp.

As Phoebe would say, "Um, hello... pot? It's kettle. You're black."
Photobucket

13 comments:

une autre mère said...

And you should've replied... "Honey, I chase around a one year old every day. That's a full-body workout!"

Thanks for making me laugh so early this morning. Loved the Phoebe reference!

Unknown said...

I do not remember that Phoebe-ism. What episode is that?

H-Mama said...

So funny! I used to be that way too. I'm sure the changes in me would have NOTHING to do with getting older. ;)

Joel said...

Your timing is hilarious - I went to bed at 8:00 last night :) I convinced Joel to come to by telling him I was going to read for a while before falling asleep. He only lasted reading for about 15 minutes and was falling asleep too. I'm the same way as you - I would like to sleep 11 hours every night.

Mandi said...

I'm with you...8:30 sounds like an ideal bed time :) Some nights as I lay Ava down at 7:30 I'm tempted to sneak into our room for the night, too...

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Leave it to Megan, she will FIND that episode by noon. Promise.
8:30?! Fer reals!? I think this means you need to have another baby.....just sayin' ;)

Kelly said...

I just had to laugh when I read this! It sounds just like me and my hubby! I would love to go to bed at 9 everynight, but he's a night owl. I hate going to be without him, so I end up staying up late with him (usually). He's so crazy though because he loves to stay up so late, but he's always exhausted in the mornings...."if we just went to bed earlier" :)

Have a great day!

Sarah said...

Oh, funny...I agree with Katie's reply! Haha! :)

Sarah said...

btw, where did you get this adorable layout! SWEET, sweet, SWEET! :) It's just darling and fits you perfectly! :) Are things with all these li'l buttons and such free??? :)

Sarah said...

Oh, nevermind...I see on the bottom of the page: Template Mama. :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

Megan -- I don't remember which episode for sure but I think she's talking to Monica? Dave and I say it to each other all the time :)

And Sarah, yes Template Mama -- she rocks! All free, although I did some tweaking to some things like the header and the fonts, etc.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

lmao. We are the exact same way. I'm the biggest hypocrite of all time when it comes to hubby. And, I totally need 9 or 10 hours of sleep. I tell everyone it's because my brain works harder than everyone else. Use that line, it shuts people up. =)

I'm glad you came out of lurkdom at our blog. Ryan got down with my assistance. No husbands were injured in the painting of the stairwell. =)

Michelle said...

i love me some sleep! ha! i need a lot of sleep too or i wake up mr. grumpy pants.

 
Images by Freepik