Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Nov 19, 2009

It's Like Looking In A Mirror Sometimes

The other day I was finishing up some things in the kitchen while Lily played underfoot. I had given her some toys to play with but she had abandoned them for something that had a much greater allure...mommy's purse.

Mommy's purse is a forbidden object, which, naturally, makes it all the more enticing. When she thought I wasn't paying attention, Lily dived in enthusiastically and started pulling out all sorts of objects.

 Pens! Lotion! Kleenex! Receipts! Feminine products *ahem*! And then the motherload...mommy's pocketbook....ooohh. Her face lit up like a Christmas tree and she sneaked a peek at me to see if I was watching...I was.

{Why yes, I sometimes struggle with consistency in discipline whyever do you ask?}

{In my defense, my hands were dirty. I couldn't have stopped her if I wanted.}

{And besides, it was kind of funny}

{Anyway}

As it turns out, Lily soon found out that disobedience often has some natural consequences....





Literally tangled in the cords of her own sin. That forbidden object lost some of it's allure when she realized she was trapped and unable to get herself out.

Hmmm...come to think of it, she sounds an awful lot like someone else I know...

How often have I gotten tangled up in my own sin only to call out in distress to the very One whose commands I have disobeyed?

What a privilege it is to be able to demonstrate the same grace to my daughter that my Heavenly Father has extended to me!

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"--and you forgave the guilt of my sin
Psalm 32:5
Photobucket

11 comments:

Mandi said...

Really cute and really true...
consistency is SO hard when they are so adorable. Good thoughts, Amy. :)

Annie said...

great post hun.
lily is so cute!!!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

i am so looking forward to the day when I can use Hayden's naughtiness to point him to the cross. Because we know there will be plenty of naughtiness to go around :)

Sarah said...

:) Good post...cute pictures...and great parallel! :)

I pay $25/year for the premium picnik stuffs...it's totally worth it...and fun! :) But, I am eager to see what I can figure out with PS one of these (later...) days!

Amy said...

What a great post! I love the connection and of course the pictures. Ryann did the same thing the other day. She found a dollar and she just sat there smiling at it. I took a picture and wondered how money could make an 11month old smile...are we sinfully programed to love money? Thanks for the great post.
Blessings,
Amy

Lenae said...

What a sweet post! Great thought.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog! How sad to be sick on your birthday... I don't think I've ever had that happen before. I'm glad you had an awesome grandma there for you that day :)

une autre mère said...

Adorable. Consistency is so hard when the villain is so cute. Do you think God thinks that about us? Probably not...

Anonymous said...

Our kids teach us the best lessons, don't they? :)

Chelsea said...

Oh she is SO cute!!

Great lesson. Seems simple, huh??

Catholic Mutt said...

Cute story and a great life lesson! Score!

Unknown said...

i like this. its very similar to how i view things daily while raising a two year old! its amazing how much we can learn from our little darlings!
thanks for sharing.

 
Images by Freepik