Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Dec 16, 2009

Candy Cane Twists

Oh my word…your comments are killing me. I just love all the smack talk this giveaway is inducing :)

Well, we’ve made it to the last treat of the day. We had a little help with this one:

040

If you win, you might want to double-check your treats for drool ;)

Neither Mindy or I had tried this recipe before but we thought they would make a beautiful addition to the tray. I mean LOOK at this picture.

Desserts -- Candy Cane Twists

Adorable, no?

As we were making them we kept talking about how we never try recipes like this because it always seems too daunting, but “these aren’t as hard as I thought” and “this is actually kind of fun.”

And true, they didn’t look perfect before we put them in the oven but, “they’ll look better once they’re baked.”

049

Ummm….yeah…not so much…

050

We’ve decided they look like shrimp instead of candy canes. Cocktail sauce, anyone?

Candy Cane Twists

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/3 cups butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup candy canes or peppermint candy, finely crushed
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring

  1. Beat together powdered sugar, butter, egg, peppermint, and vanilla at medium speed until creamed.
  2. Reduce speed and add flour and salt.
  3. Divide dough in half.
  4. Stir candy into half of dough and beat food coloring into other half.
  5. For each cookie, roll 1 teaspoon of dough into 4 inch long rope.
  6. Place ropes beside each other and twist them together.
  7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and curve one end of cookie to make candy cane shape.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.

If you try this recipe and actually get it to look like that picture we will not be able to be friends because I will hate you and your Martha Stewart baking skills please share your secret :)

Don’t forget to leave a comment to enter the giveaway! The more you comment, the more chances you have to win! View full details here.

I’ll be back for one more wrap up post…once I’ve cleaned my kitchen…

056

058

It might be awhile :)

12 comments:

Gina said...

I love the shrimp cookie, keep that in mind for when your kids want a Sponge Bob Squarepants Birthday!

This Heavenly Life said...

I'm just wondering what the screwdrivers on the counter were for...

Also, the recipe says to roll one tsp of dough into a 4 inch long rope. If my visualizing is right, that would make a super-skinny rope. In the picture, I'm guessing yours are a bit thicker. Maybe that puffed them up a bit. Also, maybe chilled dough wouldn't spread so much? Like, make the shapes, put 'em on the pan, then stick it all in the fridge for a few minutes?

Either way, I think your puffy ones look tastier. I'm a fan of softer cookies anyway :)

Catholic Mutt said...

I'm sure they taste amazing, which really is what it's all about. And, umm, what do screwdrivers do for cooking?

Jamie said...

They make look like shrimp but I bet they taste delicious!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I have no explanation for the screwdrivers....funny I didn't notice them until you all mentioned them -- shows how observant I am :) I believe my husband left them there, probably after doing something handy??

And Sarah, we were totally eyeballing the 4 inches and I think we might have underestimated it a smidge :) And my mom had the same suggestion about chilling the dough -- you should make them and try that then tell me if it works :)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

funny :) they do look like shrimp!

Lady....you are a machine. I can't believe you did all that PLUS posted like 6 times......crazy.

Anonymous said...

I was gone for a few hours at our christmas program... but I'm back... and your post had me rolling! I still can't stop laughing about the candy cane twists. I will have to take a stab at them too... just so I can laugh at my own result. I SO hope I get to eat on one of yours though... I still have a few more hours to post right? :D
~Kim

Amy said...

Everything looks so yummy! It sounds like so much fun too.
Blessings,
Amy

une autre mère said...

I like your puffier candy canes better. They make me feel better about the extra pudge I've acquired. I hate skinny candy canes. Really. Can't stand 'em. Nasty little skinny canes...

Anonymous said...

Still got a chuckle out of your 'shrimp' even a few hours later... just wanted you to know. (how much I want to eat one.)
~Kim

Anonymous said...

Can guys comment on this? Anything with powdered sugar and peppermint can't be too bad. We'll give this a try. (By the way, if I win the giveaway, don't send it. I don't eat things that are calorie-free; remember, I'm a guy.)

Tio Tomas

H-Mama said...

This was laugh out loud funny!! :D

 
Images by Freepik