Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Dec 16, 2009

This Is Harder Than I Thought!

So, um…this whole blogging while baking thing is quite the experience. It’s harder than it looks :)

So far we’ve…

…made a complete mess of the kitchen (bet you’re not jealous of it now :)

030

031

…stopped to wash some dishes (go Mindy go!)…033

…made some Christmas wreaths…

036

Christmas Wreaths

1/2 cup butter
30 large marshmallows
1 1/2 teaspoons green food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups cornflakes cereal
2 Tablespoons red hots

  1. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.
  2. Add marshmallows and heat until completely melted, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from heat and add food coloring, vanilla, and cornflakes.
  4. With lightly greased fingers, quickly drop spoonfuls of mixture onto waxed paper and form into wreath shapes.
  5. Immediately decorate with red hots.
  6. Cool at room temperatures before removing from waxed paper.

…and some Peanut Butter Blossoms

037

Peanut Butter Blossoms

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cub brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
sugar
1 cup (6 oz.) chocolate kisses or stars

Cream shortening and peanut butter.
Add sugars, egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add creamed mixture to flour mixture and blend thoroughly.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll in sugar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from oven immediately and place kiss (or star) on top of each cookie.
Remove from cookie sheet and cool.

Up Next: Andes Mint Cookies, Oreo Truffles, Seven Layer Bars, and Thin Mints

32 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Oh you are a better woman than I...Betty Crocker cookie mix made my PB Blossoms :)

sonya said...

I agree with Katie. You're awesome for making your things from scratch. I am a box mix person myself:)

This Heavenly Life said...

Uh, wrong...I am still jealous...because look at all the fun you guys are having!!

I can't wait to see the oreo truffles because they sound so good, and the andes mint cookies because I have a favorite recipe for those and I'm wondering if it's the same as yours. This is so much fun! Then again, I'm not the one washing all the dishes :)

H-Mama said...

Sharin' this with a friend is the best. You go, girl! Looks yummy. ;)

Anonymous said...

AHHHH!!! I'm behind in my commenting! :) Honestly Ames, it looks fabulous! Thought I would be inspired by your cooking with Mindy and do some of my own... yeah.... not so much. :)
~Kim

Anonymous said...

Ooooo!!!! I just saw the oreo truffles were coming up! Thanks to you, my husband thinks he needs those to live each year around this time... :) And you betcha Katie... I'm gonna win!!!!
~Kim

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

hahaha....i made oreo balls for jesse, too, kim. oh the things we do :)
bring it, kim ;)

Gina said...

Katie & Kim I don't know you but I am getting in this game fast & furious.. who needs to work today when I could gain 5 lbs next week!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

buh-sted........... :D

Anonymous said...

agreed... however... as of now, I believe, unless I am mistaken, that I am in the lead!!!! Eat.My.Dust. Tahahahaha! :D
~Kim

Gina said...

Oh no.. it isn't about the most comments is it? cause I can totally stay up all night :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay... So You might have me on that one. :)
~kim

Gina said...

This might be the one time I am wishing for my baby to be up in the night!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

you're all nuts :) I did make my own, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't win.
I'll leave it up to God ;)
{oh yes, I did just play the God's will card}

Gina said...

Katie, I think you just shamed me into limiting my comments..

Anonymous said...

NOT ME!!!! I know she played it on purpose!!! NEVER BACK DOWN! :D This is just too much fun... I am going to have a good laugh when Amy draws a name that only posted once or twice though. Just makes me chuckle thinking about it.
~Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm just too competitive and being a SAHM I have to regain my competitive edge in some way... :0 (And yes, I split my super long comment into two just for the extra comment! HA! Take that Katie!) :D
~Kim

Gina said...

Alright fine I will not long be ashamed!!!

Gina said...

By

Gina said...

the

Gina said...

way

Gina said...

my daughter wants me to win so she's gonna submit a comment too!!!!

Gina said...

vfftrea

love 8 month old Camryn

Kristi Welch said...

Is that a 72 oz bag of chocolate chips I saw? At least your kitchen was full of food containers. I'd rather have that than full of dirty dishes waiting to be HAND washed.

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Holy cheating, Batman!!!!
So.....I'm still hoping that God will reward my non-cheating spirit and TRUST in his sovreignty. He knows what is best for my waistline. I will probably not win ;)

So....that said.....I'd still like to win, if possible ;)

une autre mère said...

My kitchen looked much like that today and I was only baking 3 things! :)

Anonymous said...

And again with the box stuffing!!!! Good thing I had to be up late! I
~Kim

Anonymous said...

might

Anonymous said...

lose!

Anonymous said...

And just for the record... its SOOO cheating to have your daughter post too!!! Not at all fair for those of us whose children cannot type.... (because then I would have had them do it!)
~Kim

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I cannot wait to make those little Christmas wreath cookies! Thanks for reminding me of those little goodies!

Gina said...

How old are your children that they cannot type? Camryn is 8 months I just had her in my lap and she pounded away at the key board! It;s not cheating.. she gets whatever i eat and she wants cookies. Plus how could you deny her cute face... Ok so you can't see here on here but she is really cute!!!!

 
Images by Freepik