Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Feb 10, 2010

Random Dozen, Valentine’s Day Style

It’s been awhile since I linked up for one of these so I thought I’d give it a go this week:

1. Are you pleasant when you're ill, or are you a grumpy, fussy patient?
Unfortunately for my husband, I am a grumpy, fussy patient. I like to be babied and doted on taken care of.

2. When you find out that school is canceled (due to inclement weather) what is your gut reaction?

Well it doesn’t really affect me now, but when I was working at the middle school, my gut reaction was YES! SLEEP!

3. What is one domestic skill you wish you could improve?
Oh, too many to count, but I’ll go with sewing, due to my recent disaster project.


4. Do you decorate your home for Valentine's Day?
No. I just don’t have any decorations and can’t justify spending the money on them. Wait. I take that back. I have a dish towel:

February 2010 001

5. What song is on your mind today?
This song – because it should be the prayer of my heart, but I know it’s not where I am right now. Particularly in light of the recent home going of a friend’s husband – would I be able to sing this song as a widowed mother at age 26? I don’t know. But I know the words of this song are true: “You are good when I’m poor and needy. You are true when I’m parched and dry…You’re still God in the darkest night.” Such good, good lyrics.


Speaking of good lyrics – I just have to put in a plug here for Sovereign Grace Music. Their songs are chock full of good, solid truth. I can’t get enough of them! This is another of my most recent favorites that we sang in church last Sunday:

6. Do you prefer contemporary movies or classic?
No preference, really.

7. How well do you "compartmentalize" your feelings? For example, how well can you put aside a really trying moment to deal with the immediate situation which is not related to the trying moment, e.g., putting aside a tiff with your spouse in order to finish wallpapering a room.
Well, I know the ability to compartmentalize is  typically a male quality, but I’d say I’m pretty good at it – for a woman, anyway. I don’t think I’m super emotional.

{Please don’t talk to my husband about this. He might give you a different answer :) }

8. What is the first thing that attracted you to your spouse? (Or if you're single, to your best friend.)
His kindness. Even before I started thinking about dating him, I thought he was hands down the nicest guy I’d ever met.

Oh, and if we’re talking physical traits – his dimples :) I’m probably going to get in trouble for saying that on the Internet :)

9. When was the last time your heart raced? Just this morning when my 16 month old got halfway up our {very steep} flight of stairs before I noticed. Yeah. I’m am awesome mom :-\

10. What are your memories of Valentine's Day at school? I remember making mailboxes in elementary school to hold all our Valentine’s. It was always kind of a competition to see who could make the most creative one. And I remember painstakingly trying to pick platonic Valentine’s to give to the boys in my class.

11. If you were going to receive candy for Valentine's Day, which would you prefer?
I was just talking to Dave about this – we saw one of these commercials for Russell Stover’s:

 And I told him he could just skip the heart shaped box and give me a big old bag of these:

DoveMilkChocolateOr these – milk chocolate, not dark – mmmmm…. Hershey's Bliss
12. Red or pink?
 PINK! What can I say? I’m a girly girl :)

Click on the button above to visit Linda and see more Random Dozen answers!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY!!

10 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

i love "all i have is christ"--Jesse & I are singing it this sunday @ church actually.
And I too remember trying to keep Valentines day platonic...

une autre mère said...

Thanks so much for posting that song, "As Long As You Are Glorified." I had never heard it and now it's one of my favorites! I hope I never have to face circumstances that challenge those words, but if I do, I can only pray I could sing those words honestly.

And I'm with you on the Valentines candy. Really, anything chocolate will make my heart melt!

Melli said...

Mmmmm... beautiful songs! I'll take the dark chocolate you don't want - it's my FAVORITE - but I like it all! And Russell Stover's are good... but not my favorite!

Unknown said...

#9 happens almost every day now that Jack is mobile. Fun, but very scary stage!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Milk chocolate makes my heart race. In a good way. :)

Skoots1moM said...

bliss is such a great name for this candy, don't you think?!!
great job with the meme today
:)

Nel said...

Enjoyed your answers. I like those songs, going to have to check that out. Thanks for sharing!

until next time... nel

Jamie said...

Those lyrics are so good! I want that to be my heart's prayer too.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

#4 is cute, cute, cute!

And in the commercial? The first lady to speak, a brunette, is a good friend of mine!

Michelle said...

yum! I'm like you just bring on the doves chocolate!

 
Images by Freepik