Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Feb 11, 2010

Like I Need More Places to Waste Time At…

I have a new favorite website. I’ve gotta warn ya though. It’s a time sucker.

Some of you decorating gurus have probably already heard of it, but it’s new to me. Introducing:

www.houzz.com

Anyone else have a “Decorating File” with pages and pictures ripped out of magazines? A place to collect all those fabulous decorating ideas you dream about doing {someday}?

You can scrap that and just make your way over to Houzz.

Thousands upon thousands of pictures of other people’s home. For someone like me who is a “creative copier” this is a gold mine. I’m not good at thinking up original ideas, but I am good at stealing borrowing from other people.

And the best part? You can sign up {for free} and create your own “Ideabook” to save the pictures of rooms you like the best.

I’ve got one for “Lily’s Big Girl Room”:

eclectic kids by Designs by Shoshana 

Don’t you just love that curtain above the bed? And the striped wall?

traditional kids by Heather Scott Home & Design

Or how about those gorgeous paisleys?

And I noticed a trend…evidently I really like the green and pink color combo {for Lily}.

In fact, I seem to be preoccupied with the color green, period. Like, look at this laundry room:

eclectic laundry room 320 Sycamore

Cute, no?

And don’t even get me started on all the fantastic closets I’ve seen.

eclectic  by housebeautiful.com

contemporary  by containerstore.com

Look at how organized…be still, my heart.

Of course before I decorate my laundry room and put laminate flooring and a chandelier in my closet ;) I’d like to finish the “main” rooms of the house, like the living room:

traditional living room by Austin Patterson Disston Architects

{Again with the green}

And of course I’m working on the bedroom. I just love the romantic feel this canopy gives:

traditional bedroom by Karen Luria Interior Identity

And it doesn’t even look like they have a canopy bed – I think they just hung that from the ceiling! I could figure that out…maybe?

Who needs cable and HGTV when you’ve got gorgeous pictures like this at your fingertips? Go check it out for yourself! And let me know if you find any really good ideas.

Oh, and I apologize in advance to your families for the piles of laundry, sinks full of dirty dishes, and nights of takeout this website will incite. It’s all for a good cause :)

14 comments:

H-Mama said...

i love the pink and green combo too! green laundry room looks beautiful. maybe i would be more tempted to do laundry?? maybe not. ;)

Mindy said...

I babysat for a family and their little girls' room could be on this website. Striped walls, multiple coordinating layers of blankets on the bed...adorable. :)
And I did notice that in the one super-organized closet, there were only 5 ladies shirts and 5 skirts in there...so maybe the key to looking super organized is to only have 5 outfits?! :) j/k Thanks for the website, ames!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Thanks ames.....I did not need another place to waste my time ;) I can do that alllll by myself, thank you very much ;)
I don't think that first one has to be wall paper though, you could very easily paint that. And by "very easily" I mean with great painstaking work and perfectionism.

peter marie said...

Shoot, girl! I've not heard of that site before...this could be the end of me. My poor husband.

It will be so fun to do a Big Girl Room! Honestly, I've been thinking about Harper's since I did her nursery.

Kelly said...

awesome! thanks for sharing :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I've seen the site in other posts, but didn't know what it was. I think this could be dangerous.

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

PS...I've been mulling this over in my mind today. Green. a) geniuses pick green, they say it's proven, b) I heart green and that was before I knew about letter a.
The canopy. I totally love that for your br, partly because Jesse would never let me do that so I want it for someone else, PLUS you really have a lot of space in your room with the high ceilings, it would definitely cozy it up!
and love the paisley......
see what I mean about a time waster....I don't have to spend a second worth of time on a website to get my mind turning ;)

Jamie said...

I too am a 'creative copier'. I've never been to that site, but I will be wasting some time there this weekend.

Michelle said...

oh my word! i'll be adding this to my favs for sure! i love the laundry room, if mine looked like that, i don't think i'd want to use it for fear it would become a mess HA!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Ohhh Looks like something I would LOVE. I must NOT go to that site. :)

une autre mère said...

Oh. my. goodness. I'm drooling over ALL of those pictures! Makes me want to re-do my whole house! If only money grew on trees...

Thanks for that website. I too was one to cut out pictures I liked and file them away. Forget that! Welcome to 2010 and awesome websites! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy-
I'm Judd Corizan from the meme Sunday Stealing. (http://sundaystealing.blogspot.com) I thought I'd take the time to invite you and all Random Dozen players to join us this and every Sunday. We have a group of great players who participate. We usually post by 3PM Eastern time on Saturdays.

Thanks!
Judd

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I looooooove houzz!

And I love the girls' rooms you've picked out. Actually I love all the rooms. You and I have very similar taste. :)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Oh WOW! I should have read your blog before spending the afternoon ripping out pages from pottery barn catalogs and a zillion other magazines! That is amazing! On little girls' rooms: I think I'm living vicariously through Cloe in her room! It's all my favorites! A bonus tip: Peter Marie (Abby) painted *amazing* murals for children's rooms! They deck the walls of many of our rooms! Thanks again!!!

 
Images by Freepik