Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Apr 5, 2010

From Placemats to Pillows: A Before and After

Last week my bloggy friend Ali asked me,

“Hey whatever happened to painting your room? Pick a color or paint yet?”

Why, that is an excellent question, Ali.

EXCELLENT!

The answer is…no.

I’ve looked at some paint chips. That’s about as far as things have gotten on the paint front **hangs head**

But the good news is, we have made progress on our master bedroom re-do. Lots of progress, actually. The painting is probably the last major thing we need to finish.

And since today happens to be

I thought I would share with you a little before and after project that I completed not long ago for our master bedroom.

I mentioned before that I loved the idea of white bedding with green and brown accent pillows, and I had found a few pillows that I liked. They weren’t horribly expensive – like $15 per pillow or something like that. But when you want to buy more than one, well – that can add up fast and I really didn’t feel like putting down $45.00 just for pillows.

Then one day I was browsing the table linens aisle in Kohl’s and saw the cutest placemats – only problem was, they wouldn’t go in our dining room. And then, a lightbulb went off – I could make pillows out of them! For our bedroom!

I thought I remembered awhile back that Sarah did a post about making pillows out of placemats and it seemed fairly easy, so I snatched up a couple and took them home.

I am telling you right now this is the EASIEST project I have ever done.

I think it took me all of five minutes, no lie.

We had some pillows on the couch in the basement that were once beautiful but the years had taken their toll on them:

February 2010 007 February 2010 008 

They looked like the right size and shape so I just unzipped the covers and removed the pillow forms.

Then I took my seam ripper to those super cute placemats:

February 2010 009

**Note: To do this project you need to use placemats that are double-sided – as in, two pieces of fabric sewn together. Otherwise this won’t work.**

I just ripped out the seam on one end, stuffed in the pillow form, and sewed it back together.

EASY PEASY.

Here’s a picture of the finished pillows sitting on top of our new bedding. February 2010 012

I love them!

We’ve made several other changes to the bedroom since this picture was taken – I can’t WAIT until it’s all done and I can show you the final reveal!

I also want to get {or make} a couple of other pillows for the bed to fill things out a little. It just doesn’t look quite “right” to me yet -- but I’m not sure what shape/size would be best. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

une autre mère said...

Love that pillow idea! Now I'll be searching the clearance isles for placemats. And yours are super cute!

I'm thinking maybe a larger square or circular pillow in one of those shades of green. I know that things are more aesthetically pleasing in odd numbers, so I would go with 3 or 5. Just my thoughts - but of course, I'm not a professional. :)

Can't wait to see it with the paint! I believe that paint can make ALL the difference! Oooh, and have you ever thought about painting a headboard on the wall? That would be stellar. ;)

This Heavenly Life said...

Maybe at the very back of all the pillows -- right up against the wall -- you could have two big green pillows to draw some more green into the bed. As pillow shams or just great big, decorative pillows.

I'm so impressed by your placemat pillows! You're amazing!

H-Mama said...

She shoots, she scores! Looking forward to seeing the finished room! Great idea.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Sigh.... I love your bedding. Probably because I went and copied your bedding. But it's perfection, isn't it?

Okay. I love the placemats. I wanna try that. Thanks for the idea.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I adore!! What a fantastic idea. They are so classy looking!!

Mandi said...

Looks great, Amy! Nice work! Everytime I drive by Pier 1, I say, " I need to stop and look at placements..." and still haven't. So good for you!

Michelle said...

seriously? wow! that is awesome.....gonna steal this idea i love pillows but really don't wanna fork over tons of money for 'em

Heather said...

I love this, what a great idea!! Love the pillow!! Just found your blog Amy and am your newest follower!
Love reading and look forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Bloggy friend, thank you for the update on the bedroom. I was dying to know. ;)

I love those pillows and think you are WAY more crafty than me. I can't sew at all! After looking at the pillows, I think the lightest green on the pillow with the multiple leaves would make a great accent wall color for your room. You could take it to Lowes and have them color match it.

 
Images by Freepik