Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

May 5, 2010

Some Random Thoughts

Because I’m feeling too lazy to think up an actual post:

  • We had the stomach flu this past weekend. And by “we” I really do mean “we”. All three of us. Lily on Saturday, then Dave and I simultaneously late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

  • FYI: I do not recommend being sick at the same time as your spouse. At least not when you have a busy little toddler to take care of. Luckily, Grandma came to our rescue! It’s times like these that make me realize how lucky we are to have family nearby. I don’t know what we would’ve done without her!

  • I lost five pounds. Which ordinarily would be a cause for celebration, but unfortunately, weight loss isn’t really what you’re going for when you’re pregnant.

  • Speaking of the baby, ultrasound’s on Friday! Super excited, but also for some reason kind of nervous this time around. I just keep thinking about all the things that “could” be wrong – continually having to bring those thoughts captive and hand them over to the Lord!

  • Just found out that my brother Brad and his wife Jenny {the ones who just moved} are expecting and due in November, just a month after we are! Sooo super excited!!

  • I’m planning an anniversary trip for Dave and I, and I’m SUPER excited! Nothing huge, just a little getaway for just the two of us. Usually that’s the kind of thing that he does for me so I’m having fun turning the tables and trying to think of fun things that he will enjoy. He doesn’t know where we’re going {actually…neither do I exactly…not yet} just that he needs to take two specific days off work. So I can’t give you any of the juicy details otherwise it will spoil the surprise. But I’ll be sure to fill you in once we’re back.

  • Is there such a thing as a “fruitatarian”? {as opposed to a vegetarian}. Because if so, I’m pretty sure Lily would fall into that category. I have never seen a person eat so much fruit! I’ll bet she gets twice as much as she actually needs in a day – at least it’s healthy! Now as for vegetables? That’s a whole ‘nother story…if you have suggestions about how to get children to eat their veggies, I am all ears.

  • I accidentally left an entire, unopened gallon of milk in the trunk of our car on Saturday afternoon and didn’t realize it until Sunday morning. Darn you pregnant brain! Dave insisted that “it still smelled good” and “we could probably drink it and be just fine” but,  I mean…seriously. It spent the entire night in a room temperature car trunk…I wasn’t having anything to do with it.

  • And a picture…’cause it’s cute:

April 2010 001

I love this girl!

Happy Wednesday!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting your child to eat veggies. Not easy. Isaac took a week long nutrition class and he told us the teacher brought in brownies with added spinach. He said he couldn't tell it was in there. Another idea that I just tried yesterday was given to me by a friend just last week. She likes to learn about nutrition and shared this smoothie recipe. Equal parts of each ingredient. 1/2cup each of chocolate soy milk, blueberries and spinach. I thought that it was an odd combination but tried it and it was pretty good! You can't taste the spinach but it gives it a little different texture. I tried it with banana too. I'm sure strawberries would be good and you can probably use vanilla soy milk instead of the chocolate if you want. You could add spinach to any smoothie recipe. Try it! Yum!~Sue

peter marie said...

Glad you guys are feeling better. How horrible to ALL be sick!!

Harper is the same way with eating fruit all day and no veggies. It's so hard! I do agree with the above statement. My MIL does smoothies with spinach..it looks gross but you really can't taste it! I'll have to try it too.
Do you find out if it's a boy or girl baby at this ultrasound?!

H-Mama said...

So glad you guys are better!! You're right... not the best way to lose 5 lbs when you are preg and no fun when both parents are sick. I remember being sick while DK was working and had to take care of my toddler and 3 wk old... who were also sick. Fun... shinNot.

Lilly is too cute for words, huggin' her lil' bear.

A mysterious anniversary trip... sounds like fun. ;)

Kelly said...

What a cutie!

Glad you're feeling better! It is no fun being sick like that when you're preggo. Can't wait to hear about the ultrasound!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

My girls loovve fruit too - they would eat it for every meal!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Sooo sorry your family all had the stomach bug! That's awful!
My kids all loved their fruits so much--I found it was a chewing issue. Most fruits are softer. Once they got their back teeth, they started chomping down carrots like crazy. Now they eat all veggies like psycho deprived vegetarians--seriously! Just hide all the veggies you can in whatever you can! Keep offering them too!
Hope the ultrasound goes well! I loved seeing my babies but was always nervous too! You are so right to take those thoughts captive!!!

Jenn said...

Bummer about the stomach flu. We all got it during my first trimester. Same scenario, Dane first and Andy and I 2 days later at the same time. So greatful my sister is living with us. We gave her Dane and she took him for the day! Then she paid the price a few days later.
Good luck with the veggies. Who doesn't like fruit? I have a hard time thinking of and getting him to eat veggies as well, he does ok as long as they are cooked soft. I have been doing frozen peas and warming them up a serving at a time. He will eat them if I bribe him with blueberrys between bites.

Lindy Rhodes said...

Haha, we did the same thing with a grocery item - we left lunch meat in the trunk all night. I thought we never got home with it from the store, so I asked my husband to go back and show them the receipt to get a replacement. Later he walked in the door with lunch meat and put it in the fridge, and a few hours later when I asked him about it, he said it must've fallen out of the grocery bag, because he found it in the trunk. He claimed since it was in a sealed package that it would be just fine! Haha, what would they do without us?

mommy baum said...

I'll be thinking about you guys when you have your ultrasound tomorrow! We'll have to exchange notes afterwards! ;)

 
Images by Freepik