Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 15, 2010

A Weekend To Remember, Part 1

I originally planned to do just one post about our trip but I think it would make too ridiculously long of a post. So I’m splitting it into two.

*************** 

I’m not even sure where to begin telling you about our anniversary trip…guess I’ll start at the beginning, huh? :)

First off, this was the first trip that I was doing all the planning by myself. So I wanted it to be good. And I wanted it to be a surprise.

(Except, it wasn’t. I accidentally let the location slip about a week before we left. I’m telling you – Worst Secret Keeper EVER!)

Anyway.

The only real criteria was that it had to be within reasonable driving distance (i.e. not much more than 5 hours).

Oh, yes – and fun. It had to be fun.

I had a few places in mind but ended up settling on Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. This was one place Dave had expressed interest in visiting and once I started doing some research, I realized there was a TON of stuff to do. Like, more than we could possibly squeeze into the short time we would be there.

Plus, as a bonus, it’s just a short drive away from where my brother now lives, so I had someone on the “inside” to give me tips about what to do and where to stay.

We headed out Friday morning after dropping Lily off at my parent’s house.

I did not cry.

Ok so maybe there were a few tears in the corners of my eyes.

And I might have typed up a detailed instruction sheet with everything you’d ever need to know about Lily.

And suffocated her with hugs and kisses before we walked out the door.

But other than that, I was fine.

We hit the road and a few hours later made a stop to see Brad and Jenny at their new home.

They gave us a tour of the camp and I have to admit, I was trying sooo hard not to be jealous of the fact that the view from their back window is of pine trees sloping down the hill to a lake.

Or that someone cook’s all three meals for them every day during the summer.

Or that their front yard is a veritable playground filled with activities ranging from paintball to horseback riding.

Nope, not jealous at all :)

After that it was just a short drive to the Dells and our home away from home for the weekend – this cozy little bed and breakfast.

White Rose Mansion  
I have to admit – I was a leeetle bit nervous about staying somewhere site unseen. I mean, it looked great on their website, but looks can be deceiving.  So I was really hoping it would live up to my expectations.

And boy, did it ever!

Let me tell you, pictures (especially ones taken by me) do not do it justice. They have 5 different houses to stay in: The White Rose Mansion (pictured above)

Terrace Hill

Terrace Hill

The Sherman House

Sherman House

The Gate House (left) and The Carriage House (right)

carriage_stable{source}  

We stayed in the Gate House which houses two of their “luxury rooms” (ooh la la!)

Our room was (ironically) called “Lily’s Room”.

June 2010 020

King size bed?

Yes, please!

June 2010 007

Whirpool tub and two person massage shower?

Yes, please! 

  June 2010 013

His and hers bath robes?

June 2010 014

Gorgeous pedestal sink?June 2010 019

Private balcony?   June 2010 021 June 2010 022

Yes, please!

I honestly don’t think we could’ve picked nicer accommodations for the weekend. So much nicer than any place we’ve ever stayed at, but the splurge was worth it!

Alrighty. Enough posting for one day. Tomorrow I’ll tell you all about the stuff we did. Try to contain your excitement  :)

8 comments:

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Ohhhh... Very nice! :) Looks wonderful!

Mandi said...

Wowzah! So... that place is amazing- Ava and I are drooling over it right now. Er, well, I am :) So glad you got to go! Want to hear more...

peter marie said...

Looks awesome!!

And congrats on girl #2!! :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Looks SO amazing!! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Looks like a wonderful place to stay. I've never been to the Dells, but I'd like to take the drive there someday.

Unknown said...

CUTE houses! (are they called houses?...)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Wow! So beautiful! I seriously can't contain my excitement...we're headed to Wisconsin Dells for our vacation in a week and a half and haven't really had time to look into what to do! Can't wait to hear what you did--and copy! :)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

WOW! That place looks amazing!
It's funny that you spilled the beans because after we left your house last Sat. Jesse asked me where you were going and I told him, and said but it was a suprise and he said, that's too bad because Dave already knows :) Hah! Guys :)
And if you could, keep your activities post tomorrow G rated...I'm trying to teach Hayden to read ;)

 
Images by Freepik