Remember last year when I did that massive Christmas baking day with my friend Mindy? We had such a blast doing it that we vowed to make it an annual event.
Then we went and had babies just 10 days apart from each other which really threw a curveball in our 2010 baking plans. Two nursing newborns + two ornery toddlers = no time for things like giant Baking Days.
But I still wanted to make a few Christmas goodies, even if on a much smaller scale than last year, and since Lily is old enough to enjoy baking with me, I decided to make some sugar cookies.
I don’t really bake sugar cookies that often, but several of my friends swear by this lady’s recipe, so I decided to give it a try. The verdict: it’s a keeper. Even I couldn’t mess it up.
When baking with your two year old, it is imperative that you pre-measure your ingredients.
Otherwise you might turn to find that your toddler was eating handfuls of flour and cracking eggs behind your back while you were trying to find the vanilla in the pantry. I personally have no experience with this. I’m just guessing.
*Ahem*
See? Just like on the cooking shows. Only unlike Rachael Ray, I didn’t have any prep chefs to do it for me. Wouldn’t that be nice?
Wow. That’s a lotta sugar. I suppose that’s why they call them sugar cookies, eh?
Anywhoo.
Lily’s job was to help me dump the ingredients in the bowl and turn on the mixer. Then we put our hands on our belly to keep them from getting caught in the beaters. Safety first!
Sophia’s job was to sit in her swing and look cute. I think she did a pretty good job, don’t you?
Every time we dumped in a new ingredient, Lily would look at me hopefully and say, “Now we gonna eat ‘em Mommy?”
I told her that the dough had to go in the fridge until after her nap, then we would bake them and eat them.
The news did not go over as well as you might have expected.
The first thing she said when I got her up from her nap was, “Time to eat cookies now, Mommy?”
So we went right downstairs and started baking and frosting.
Note the outfit change. This was due largely in part to the unfortunate decision on Mommy’s part to dress her in a white shirt and then feed her spaghetti for lunch. Live and learn.
Lily lost interest after decorating about three cookies. I swear, sometimes she’s got the attention span of a two year old. Oh, wait…
We decorated a special cookie just for Daddy. He thought it was absolutely beautiful.
Finally, time to enjoy the fruits of our labor!
I think she liked them :)
Since Lily wasn’t interested in decorating anymore, I tried my hand at a few.
It’s supposed to say, “Let It Snow”. It was pretty in my head.
I think I came to the conclusion that sugar cookies are a lot of work and at the end of the day, I’d rather eat them than bake them.
How about you?



7 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE her cookie recipe. bigtime.
I wondered if/when you were going to do your big baking day with Mindy....thought about asking if I could crash it, but my schedule has been just as crazy. I've been doing 1/2 to 1 1/2 baking projects per day so far. I have a looong ways to go :)
ps. I need to see you guys....Sophia is completely different since the last time I saw her.....oh yeah, at 2 weeks old :)
That is how my frosting projects turn out, as well. It always looks great in my head!
I love the pic of Lily giving the cookie to Daddy. Those are the melt your heart moments.
I'm thinking about trying to get Amanda @ i am mommy to come down for a little meet and greet! I bet she has no idea how many Iowa fans she has! Her cookies are the best--although, I can't really eat them any more. After making 16 batches since October, the smell makes me nauseous. (even before baby!) I'm just glad they make such fun gifts!
Love that recipe too! However, I have trouble perfecting the icing thickness. I have to keep adding stuff like 5 times before I can get it just right. But I love how it looks when I get it there!
Your little helpers are adorable!
Totally agreed. Decorating them is not my forte', but eating them is.
Looks like fun! your girls are adorable! I can't wait to catch up on your blog.
Post a Comment