Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Dec 12, 2010

DIY Ballard Inspired Ornament Pillow

December 2010 002

Before I start this post, can I just say how absolutely lovely this weekend has been?

Yesterday morning started with some rain that turned to ice that turned to snow that got blown all over creation by the crazy wind we were having. Since “travel was not advised” and we didn’t really have any plans anyway, we put on our “comfy clothes” as Lily calls them now {i.e.: sweats and hoodies}, ate leftover goodies from the Christmas party we had Friday night, watched Christmas movies, and just chilled.

And I had a good excuse to work on one of the bajillion projects I’m in the middle of– some Christmas pillows!

It all started a couple of months ago when I got my Ballard catalog in the mail. I fell in love with these pillows:

FP933_main

But they were $75.00.

EACH.

Even if I had one meeellion dollars, I wouldn’t waste that much money on a pillow. Especially not a seasonal pillow.

So I decided to try my hand at making my own copycat version, and this is the end result:

December 2010 008

I’m not going to do a full tutorial because, let’s face it – I’m not the person you want teaching you how to sew.

Basically, I used this tutorial to make a very basic slipcover for a pillow, traced the ornament shapes, and appliquéd them to the front using Heat n’ Bond. I used hot glue to attach the ribbon – no idea whether or not that will hold up in the wash or not. I still might add a couple more ribbons or other embellishments, but for the most part, it’s done.

I used some very inexpensive ticking, duck cloth, and cotton fabric from Wal-Mart – I think the total cost for the fabric was around $10.00 and I’ve got enough leftover to make copycats of the two other pillows pictured in the catalog.

So, my less than $10.00 version vs. their $75.00 version:

December 2010 002

FP933_main

Whaddya think?

****************

Dare to DIY

My blog buddy Kim is having a fun party this month called Dare to DIY. This week’s theme is Dare to Deck the Halls and I’m linking up! Be sure to stop by her place and be inspired by all the fabulous projects!

12 comments:

Catalina said...

Hah, I think your pillow is a totally worthy opponent of their overpriced ones. :) Great job, I like it.

Your newest follower.

Wendy said...

Ooo! Your pillow looks great and love the cost savings! Hope you share the other pillows, too!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Um.... love it. I also love that Ballard version, but who in the world has the money for a 75 dollar pillow? That's craziness. I love your version and the price. You did great and I kinda wanna add that to my list of projects, too. ;)

Thanks so much for linking up. We didn't end up with much snow, but it was definitely drifting, so I also took the opportunity to don comfy clothes and get intimate with my oven and sewing machine. Love that. Good ol' Midwest. ;)

Laura said...

The pillow looks great! I had the same thought when I got my catalog! I had thought about trying to "copy" theirs too along with a couple other projects....however with Mark being gone, trips out of the house with 2 kids have been few and far between, especially for non-necessities like sewing supplies! :(

une autre mère said...

Soooo cute! You did an awesome job with that! I'm uber impressed with your fabric skills. I only use felt because I'm scared of actually pulling out my sewing machine.

And yikes - $75 for a Christmas pillow?! That's highway robbery!

Debbi said...

Really cute diy project!

Michael Wurm Jr said...

love it!

these catalogs always charge soooo much for their stuff. it's crazy. but i'm glad their inspiration is always free.

love your version.

visiting from newlywoodwards

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Fabulous!! I love it!

Michelle said...

love it! you did a great job :D and i don't think i could ever spend that much on a pillow either.

Anonymous said...

Love this! I was going to make this as well, but ran out of time this week. Now I'm convinced I MUST make one before the holidays are over.

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh wow! That is so cute!

Pamela said...

Your pillow is just as pretty. I enjoyed the Christmas tour through your home, too. So festive and warm. Merry CHRISTmas!

 
Images by Freepik