Do you ever have days…or in my case, sometimes weeks…where you wonder what, if any, of the principles you are trying to instill in your children are actually lodging themselves in their precious little heads?
I mean, one day you observe this darling exchange of sharing between your eldest child and her younger sibling and the next thing you know it’s…”No! That’s mine!!!” at the playdate.
One day your two year old is sweetly saying “please” and “thank you” without any prompting and the next she’s screaming, “I WANT A DRINK!” at the top of her lungs from her high chair.
True story.
I swear, some days you could observe my daughter and think, “Gracious, do her parents EVER discipline her?”
We do. I swear to you, we do!
But that little sin nature, it is stubborn, I tell you.
And if I’m being perfectly honest with you, today I feel just plain discouraged. I have a nagging headache, the kind that sleep and Tylenol don’t seem to have any effect on.
I did not sleep well last night.
And if you haven’t guessed already, we did not have a good morning today, in terms of behavior.
I know. She’s two. It’s normal. But just because it’s normal doesn’t mean it’s ok. I can’t just let that sin go unchecked in her life. It’s not going to get better on it’s own. But some days I feel like I’m just saying the same things over and over and over and over…
It’s days like these that I’m reminded…I CAN’T do this parenting thing on my own. I DON’T have all the wisdom I need or the resources to get it right IN MY OWN STRENGTH.
But…and this is what I need to repeat to myself over and over and over…
I know the One who does.
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
James 1:5 {emphasis mine}
I’m asking, Lord.



6 comments:
We are in the SAME boat... :)
And, we can def pray for each other! Have you gotten to read any of that "Growing Grateful kids" book? (not that you have time to sit and read)
We have had these days so often during the last *seven* years! Yes, it does get easier--but only after asking (begging) for wisdom, strength, and perseverance to follow Eph. 6:4...but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
I use to go in the bathroom and lock the door for just a minute...pray...and come out with a new resolve. Headaches often plagued me and our children knew how to operate on those days...awful! God has been faithful and I give Him ALL the glory for victories over sin that we are now seeing! Cling to your Source of refuge and strength!!!
Exactly how I'm feeling today! Thank you for sharing your heart! I'll pray for you and I would definitely appreciate your prayers too.
Oh bless your heart! I remember days that felt like I said no over and over and over again. But consistancy really is the key and it just clicks. The really cool thing is that when your daughter is five she won't remember you scolding her, and she WILL remember the traits you have instilled in her. You are an awesome momma and tonight I prayed God would send a special blessing your way.
We have many of those days too! Where there isn't much fun, but lots of yelling, screaming, disciplining, and (just about) to give up-ness. I hope your day goes more smoothly today! Thankfully the Lord blesses us with good days to help us get through the harder ones.
(your girls are adorable!)
Amy, you are such a good mommy. Your passion to raise your family in a godly manner floods this blog, and it encourages me as I begin to raise my little guy. Hang in there. Prayed for you today.
Post a Comment