Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Mar 28, 2011

While The Cat’s Away, The Mice Will…

…go to the pet store and buy a fish?

March 2011 005

Say hello to the newest member of our family. Technically, his name is Nemo…but Lily just calls him “The Fishy”.

I was gone all day Saturday at a women’s event for our church and when I came home, there he was. Some of you may recall I am not a big fan of fish. 

But Lily loves him. And he’s kind of pretty. So I guess he can stay.

Besides, while I was gone Dave also cleaned the house, did the dishes, and took care of both girls -- all of this smack dab in the middle of March Madness. So I guess I can live with the fish Smile

Speaking of the ladies’ event, I was on the decorating committee…wanna see some pictures of what we did?

DSC_1433

DSC_1434

The colors were hot pink, black and white, so we made table runners for the above tables using a damask fabric in those colors. We got some cheap-o glass vases from Goodwill and spray painted them black, grouped them on the tables, and added tulips.

For the other tables we just took plain black napkins and some sparkly scrapbook paper for the base. Then we glued some ribbon and fake jewels around votives for the outer edges, and for the centerpiece we made some poofy flower ball…things…never could quite figure out what to call them Smile They’re just Dollar Store candlesticks that we spray painted black, then glued to a 4 inch Styrofoam ball. We hot glued some cupcake liners and smooshed ‘em all around the ball and, voila! A centerpiece.

As much as I enjoy doing things like that…I have to admit I breathed a big sigh of relief once it was over. It just all happened at a crazy time, what with the breaking of wrists and being sick with all manner of viruses that was going on at our house these past couple of months.

And anyway, the decorations were completely secondary to what was most important which was THE TEACHING! This lady was our speaker and she knocked our socks off. If you’re looking for a solid, Gospel centered speaker, check her out. And she’s funny, too, which is really just the icing on the cake.

Anywhoo. My brain is fried.

I’m waaayy behind on laundry.

And sleep.

And Nemo probably needs to be fed….and my children too.

So I’ll catch up with you all later.

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love those centerpieces! So glad you had a great time at the event. I'm going to check out the speaker!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh my - those decorations are to die for!! And I love how they look so fancy, but you explained how simple they were to make! :) You are gifted lady!

Hope you get some rest. And I hope that Nemo makes it...

une autre mère said...

Those decorations are beautiful! Great job! :) We had Tara at the ladies' conference at our church last year and we loved her! Glad you got to learn from her too!
And good luck with Nemo. At least he won't poo on your carpet like my pet will.

Unknown said...

Jack loves fish too. And he's loves the movie after which your fish is named. :)

 
Images by Freepik