Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Apr 16, 2011

Book Review: Lady in Waiting

About the Book:

Content in her comfortable marriage of twenty-two years, Jane Lindsay had never expected to watch her husband,  rad, pack his belongings and walk out the door of their Manhattan home. But when it happens, she feels powerless to stop him and the course of events that follow Brad’s departure.
Jane finds an old ring in a box of relics from a British jumble sale and discovers a Latin inscription in the band along with just one recognizable word: Jane. Feeling an instant connection to the mysterious ring bearing her namesake, Jane begins a journey to learn more about the ring—and perhaps about herself.
~
In the sixteenth-century, Lucy Day becomes the dressmaker to Lady Jane Grey, an innocent young woman whose fate seems to be controlled by a dangerous political and religious climate, one threatening to deny her true love and pursuit of her own interests.
As the stories of both Janes dovetail through the journey of one ring, it becomes clear that each woman has far more infl uence over her life than she once imagined. It all comes down to the choices each makes despite the realities they face.

*************

I have to admit my expectations for this book were relatively low. It’s historical fiction, which is a genre I actually love, but can be difficult to do well and tends to be dry unless written by a good author. And considering the fact that I’d never heard of this author before, well…I just wasn’t sure what I’d think

Having said all that, I ended up really liking this book! It’s about a modern day woman {Jane} who runs an antique shop and comes across an old ring that used to belong to Lady Jane Grey. The story flips back between the modern day {fictional} Jane and the real Jane Grey.

Like most historical fiction, she takes some liberties with the unknown details of the actual story, but I thought it was really interesting to learn about the story of Jane Grey – it wasn’t one I was familiar with before this, and it’s set in a time period that I don’t know much about.

I liked the book enough that I’m planning on reading more of Susan Meissner!

****************

Buy it here as a paperback, e-book, or audiobook. Go here for a preview of the first 40 pages.

This book was provided for review by WaterBrook Multnomah. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik