So, I mentioned we went to Chicago. It’s a trip that’s been in the works for several months…like, back before Christmas time.
Dave’s BIG Christmas present from me was tickets to see his favorite NBA team {the Boston Celtics} play the Bulls in Chicago.
He’s always wanted to go to an NBA game and while I would’ve loved to have been able to get him tickets to see them play in Boston, Chicago was a little more feasible for our time schedule and budget.
Not only that, but one of our favorite TV chefs, Rick Bayless, has a restaurant there that Dave has always really wanted to try.
{And yes…I’m aware that most of you probably don’t know who he is because you have cable TV and Food Network, but for us, PBS cooking shows are all we’ve got }
So anyway…the game was April 7, just a couple of weeks after Dave’s birthday, so we decided to leave the girls with my parents and make a nice long weekend out of it. And let me tell you, it. was. WONDERFUL!!
Some highlights…
The game…
I like watching basketball, but I would have to say even if you weren’t a fan, the atmosphere is just so much fun! This was the view from our seats.
Not courtside but not in the nosebleed either.
The food…
Chicago style pizza at Giordano’s (honestly, I'm still salivating when I think about that), yummy Mexican at Frontera Grill, and hot dogs at Portillo’s…if you know me, you know how much I love a good hot dog…I’m weird like that
And I didn’t even really feel guilty about all that food, because we walked everywhere! Apart from our trip to the United Center, our car stayed parked pretty much the entire trip.
We spent basically all day Friday exploring the city – shopping on Michigan Ave. (well, window shopping – we didn’t actually buy anything), Millenium Park and the infamous bean…
…and just admiring all the buildings. The detail on the architecture is just crazy! I love it! I’m sure professional photographers just go crazy in places like that because everywhere you turn, there’s something to photograph.
The Tribune building was one of my favorites:
Buckingham Fountain…admittedly MUCH cooler when it’s warm and the water is on…
We ended our little trek across the city at Shedd Aquarium, which was SUPER busy…this is where we were in the line to get in.
And PRICEY! Holy cow…but it’s huge and definitely worth it. I’d love to go back with the girls someday. Lily would have loved it!
On a side note…if you are planning a trip to Chicago, I would highly recommend the hotel we stayed in for a few reasons:
- Location, location, location! It’s right in the heart of downtown, near Michigan Avenue and within walking distance of pretty much everything…although it’s a good hike to the museums, but you’ve kind of got to expect to walk a lot when you go to a city like that. PLUS…
- The price! We were able to get a discount through a friend of ours who used to live in Chicago and has some connections but even without that, it’s extremely affordable for that area (you can find cheaper hotels near the airport but you won’t be right in the middle of everything)
NOT TO MENTION…
- Free parking! This is almost unheard of – at nearly every other hotel you’ll pay an additional $50 or more/night just to park your car. With this hotel, parking is included.
It’s not a 5 star resort or anything, so if you’re looking for super luxurious accommodations…go elsewhere. But it was very clean (a MUST for me) and comfortable and relatively updated. I would definitely stay there again.
Ok. I’m done plugging the hotel, promise
More than anything, it was nice just to get away, spend some time focusing on each other, have a little down time, and just RELAX. We slept…a lot…and it was wonderful. We came back feeling refreshed and ready to get right back into the thick of this busy, blessed life we’ve been given.
Thank you Lord for our beautiful children…and also thank you for giving us a chance to have a little break from them
Happy Friday!



5 comments:
{BREATHES SIGH OF RELIEF} I am so thrilled you liked the hotel. It is always hard putting yourself out there for a hotel recommendation, especially 3 years after the fact :)
I think we should do a couples trip to Chi-town. I can be packed in 10.
...or maybe families, and we could pack along my sister & dave's sister to be babysitters....just a fun thought ;)
Okay, so you totally win the wife-of-the-year award with that awesome gift! What a fun trip! And your pictures are beautiful! So glad you got the chance to get away for a few days!
Ohhh, I LOVE Chicago (to visit - don't think I'd want to live there, because deep down in my heart I am a total country girl). We went for our anniversary 2 years ago and it was so lovely! Sounds like we went to most of the places you went. -We went to the cheesecake factory too (be still my heart).
I'm so glad you were able to get away! That is incredibly important at this stage in our lives. Isn't it nice to be able to miss our kids every now and then??
We just got home from Chicago yesterday! LOVE that city! We switched it up from our "normal" pizzeria and tried Lou Malnati's Pizza! Mmm...just as good as Giordano's! And Portillo's...chocolate cake! We tried Yolk this time--amazing!!! I do love the fact that you do so much walking that it cancels out all the good meals! I love the atmosphere and excitement of Chicago! We took our whole family there last summer--rode the train, bought an American Girl doll, ate pizza, and walked 12 miles all in one day! Yep--two 5 year old and a 7 year old! We all had a blast! SO grateful for your time away with your husband! Those are the best!!!
Post a Comment