I know, I know…
I’m totally late to the be jumping on the smart phone bandwagon. As per usual with any kind of trend, I resisted at first but now I’ve fallen for them hook, line and sinker.
Just to give you some perspective, these were the phones we were using:
And this is what we have now:
I think saying we got an “upgrade” would be putting it mildly. My old phone didn’t even have a camera.
Dave got his first and I was like, “I don’t need that. Just give me something that makes and receives phone calls,” but after about 569 times of me saying, “Can I see your phone for just a second?” Dave told me to get my own I decided that maybe it would be nice to have one for myself.
Do I need a smart phone? No. But it sure is handy.
And just for fun, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite apps so far.
Craigslist – I’m a big fan of Craigslist, but always struggled with the fact that I just didn’t have time to sit down at my computer and keep browsing for what I was looking for multiple times a day. Often by the time I saw a posting for something I wanted, somebody else had already taken it. This app lets me save searches on my phone and then notifies me whenever something new is posted.
Right now I’m looking for a double stroller and I love that in just a couple of minutes I can go into my Craigslist app, check out all the new listings and email the person right from my phone if I’m interested!
I think there are several Craigslist apps out there but this is the one I use.
Garage Sale Rover– I was seriously practically giddy when I realized I was going to have this on my phone, just in time for garage sale season. This app lets me:
a. Search for garage sale listings in my area.
b. Save listings in my phone and view them separately.
c. Search for sales that have items I’m interested in {like baby girl clothes}
d. Gives me the shortest possible route between all the sales {to maximize my time and gas!}
e. Launches turn by turn GPS to tell me where I need to go when I’m driving to a sale.
For an avid garage saler like me, this is soooo worth it!
Mars Hill Church – Dave and I used this app in the car on our trip to Chicago. Rather than surf the radio when we got bored, we pulled this up and listened to audio of several of Mark Driscoll’s sermons {The Peasant Princess – good stuff} It gave us fodder for lots of good discussion and helped us make the most of our car ride!
Of course there are about 80 bajillion other applications out there and I’m sure I’ll find more to love as time goes on. So tell me…have you jumped on the smart phone bandwagon and if so, what are your favorite apps? I’d love to know so I can download some of them myself!



4 comments:
Me, too! Just got an iPhone last week. And I may be a wee bit addicted. My fab apps -- grocery list and my fitness pal calorie tracker. Both free!
I like Shazam. When you hear a song on the radio you like but don't know the name/artist. This app will tag the song for you.
I don't have a smart phone (you should see my ridiculously cheap pre-paid phone), but I do have an iPod touch that does pretty much the same thing except make calls (although it can do that too with the right app!)
That garage sale app will definitely be on my iPod right after commenting here! :)
My fave apps are:
*Text Free. If you're paying for a texting plan now, STOP and get this app! You get a real phone number and can text any number for ABSOLUTELY FREE! No catches or anything. Since Chad doesn't have a phone at all, we use this all the time to text each other!
*Family Fun's Craft Finder. Let's you search for crafts by age appropriateness, season, and time.
*Pandora. I listen to all sorts of stations for free all the time. I just pop my iPod onto our stereo and kazam! Constant flow of all my favorite genres of music! Love this!
*Words Free. Chad and I play Scrabble with each other every day with this. We'll do like a word a day. It's a fun way to stay connected even when we're apart all day.
*All sorts of kids apps. There are ton of great free ones out there. I don't want to take up any more comment space by listing all my faves! :)
Have fun!
I'm way behind the times, no smart phone for me...yet. If I ever get one I will check in you with and find out all the cool apps.
Post a Comment