Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Aug 15, 2011

The Long Overdue Vacation Post

I realize this is only going to be interesting to about half of you, but one of the main reasons I keep this blog is to preserve some family memories. So if this bores you to tears…skip it. No offense will be taken.

I think I mentioned before that one of my older brothers is a program director at Camp Fairwood in Westfield, WI, a few hours from where we live (You can check them out on their website or on Facebook)

Anyway, earlier this year while pondering what, if anything, we could afford to do for a family vacation, I happened to be flipping through the brochure for their camp and that’s when an idea struck me, “What about family camp?”

Although both Dave and I have worked at various youth camps in the past, neither of us had ever really had any experience with family camp, but we thought it could be fun and it was definitely within our budget so we decided to give it a try.

And I’m so glad we did! We had SUCH a great time!

As I mentioned, Lily had a fabulous time getting to see her cousins. She and Mykaela are just a year apart in age and were practically joined at the hip all week. They would’ve slept together if we’d let them…but we knew there would be more giggling than sleep going on if we had allowed it!Cousins6

Cousins

Sophia and cousin Adyson had fun playing together too, although they weren’t quite as giggly as their older sisters were Smile

LittleCouisins

But apart from seeing our family, there were so many other benefits to choosing a week of family camp:

First, being able to enjoy the great outdoors. The camp has acres and acres of gorgeous land. Tons of walking trails. A lake.

Cousins5

Playgrounds

Cousins3

And on one part of the land is a pine plantation. I just can’t get over how perfectly spaced these trees are. It’s like walking (or riding a horse) down a long pine tree hallway.

Horses4

Cool, huh? And yes…that is me on a horse. Don’t laugh. But that brings me to the next great thing about camp the activities.

We didn’t really even get to scratch the surface of all the fun activities they had to try – paintball, canoeing, tubing – but we did manage to squeeze in a few fun and special activities that we couldn’t normally try at home.

Obviously, horseback riding was one of them. Dave and I went just the two of us during naptime one afternoon, and then later we went with Lily and cousins Eli and Mykaela.

Lily wouldn’t ride with Dave or I, but we were able to persuade her to get on the horse with Mykaela.

Horses5

Horses3

Horses1

I wish I had video…riding behind these two was incredibly entertaining. Lots and lots of giggling and some interesting conversations about horse poop… Smile

Cousins2

Lily loved watching the horses run in the pasture together

LilyDaddyHorses

and even got to feed one a treat, which she thought was pretty awesome

FeedingHorses

And even Sophia got in on the fun – although she couldn’t ride the horses, she definitely liked touching them!

SophiaHorses

SophiaHorses2

Dave and I also played in the 4 on 4 volleyball tournament. Check out Dave’s sweet spiking skills.

Vball1

And…not that I’m bragging or anything…but our team totally won the whole tournament Winking smile It felt great to play somewhat competitive volleyball again, and really made me want to find a league to play in this winter! (Sidenote: not really sure what is going on with my face in this picture…apparently I’m super enthusiastic about that spike??)

Vball2

The camp is really laid back and low key – their goal is to give you lots of opportunities to  be as active as you want, while also leaving room for just relaxing and hanging out, which we really appreciated.

We skipped out on some of the evening activities so the girls could go to bed but we did stay up to participate in a few – like this Minute To Win It game show they put together.

Minute2WinIt

Look at that teamwork! Smile

Last, but not least, one of my favorite things about being at camp was the food.

It was good. And I’m not talking about just “good for being camp food good.” I mean good, like, “I would order it at a restaurant” good.

Hot breakfast every morning, salad bar at every noon and evening meal, and super delicious main dishes – they even had a banquet night where they babysat our kids and we got to eat an entire meal without having to wipe up spilled Kool Aid or cut meat into itty bitty pieces.

Oh, and did I mention, desserts after every lunch AND dinner? Chocolate chip cheesecake, peanut butter pie, Oreo truffles…I’m surprised any of my pants still buttoned at the end of the week. Honestly, I’d say the food alone(and the fact that I didn’t have to cook it OR clean it up) was worth the price of admission!

The very last night was a picnic under the pine trees…

Cousins7

So that was our 2011 Vacay. Definitely something we’d like to repeat in the future – and maybe next year we’ll bring a few friends along!

8 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Looks like such a great time!! We've never been to family camp... but I have been seriously considering it. My brother and sis in law went the last couple of years and really loved it!

Kelly said...

I think it would be awesome to go to family camp! Looks like ya'll had tons of fun!

Unknown said...

I'd like to know what and where this camp is...

une autre mère said...

What a fun time! Honestly, family camp frightens me... but that's probably because I grew up at the Iowa camp... ;) Your camp looks absolutely fabulous! And how fun that you got to be with your brother's family too! Love all your fun pics! Lily looks so grown up on that horse!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Yikes, Katie B....you apparently need to revisit "The Iowa Camp"....its not nearly as bad as you remember. ;) Its changed a million times over since the last time you were there ;)
Looks like you guys had fun :) We <3 family camp, too....but we like 'the iowa camp' ;) Not that we would be opposed to trying something different at some point, but for the time being, its how we roll :)

peter marie said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! That camp looks awesome...where is it?

Brad said...

For those wondering where/what the camp is...Camp Fairwood (www.campfairwood.org or www.facebook.com/campfairwood). Thanks Amy, for the great review!

Brian Reynolds said...

Amy, I think you understated some of the great things about Camp Fairwood - like the food. My wife and I have been back at Fairwood for several years now for Freedom Family Camp over the 4th of July. For a large family this is the most affordable, spiritually refreshing, fun, and relaxing week of our year.

 
Images by Freepik