Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 24, 2013

Tasty Tuesday

Ok, so first and foremost: I am not a food blogger, nor will I ever aspire to be one.

But I do like making food.

And eating it.

Especially eating it.

And I love being able to bless other people- my family and others - with yummy recipes.

So I thought it would be fun to do "Tasty Tuesdays" as a chance to share some of the yumminess with you all. I'm hoping to do this once a week. We'll see ;)

Please don't laugh at my pictures. I'm doing the best I can with veeerrrry limited skillz in the graphics department.

Anyway.

This week's recipe was one of my all time favorites growing up. In fact, most of my very best recipes come from my mama. She's a great cook. (Hi, Mom!)



A mixture of ground beef, sausage, cheese and green chiles is wrapped in bread dough and baked until golden. The ingredient list is deceptively simple. The flavor in this is amazing!

Here's the deets:

Easy Italian Sausage Roll

- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 1 small can of diced green chiles
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- 1 beaten egg, divided
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed (or use your own favorite dough recipe)
- marinara sauce, for dipping

1. Brown ground beef and sausage together in a frying pan until cooked through. Drain and let cool.
2. While meat is cooling, roll out bread dough into two rectangles, approx. 9 x 13 each.
**NOTE: be sure that the dough has thawed and risen completely or it will be difficult to get the dough to roll as big as it needs to and will affect the cooking time! Ask me how I know :)
3. Mix meat, chiles, cheese and all but 2 Tbsp. of the beaten egg (I just eyeball it - you just want enough egg to brush over the top of the dough).
4. Spread meat mixture on rectangles to within an inch of the edge.
5. Starting at the short side of the rectangles, roll up dough, pinching the edges together as you go. Arrange both rolls in a "U" shape on a shallow baking sheet.
6. Cut narrow slits about one inch apart across the top. Let rise to double.
7. Brush outside with reserved egg. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the inside is cooked and not "doughy"
8. Slice and serve with marinara for dipping!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Cook it tonight. Your family will thank you!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

This recipe looks great! Will be trying it out on my family tonight. Looking forward to checking back here for more recipes:)

 
Images by Freepik