Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 2, 2014

Nursery Before and After Of Sorts

Well hello again!

I don't know what other people do when they're waiting to have a baby, but apparently, I write blog posts!

Because some friends have asked, I thought today I'd share some pictures of baby boy's nursery. It isn't *quite* finished - I have one wall that I would like to do a frame collage on. But, lets face it. The nursery decorations aren't for him, they're for us.

So, a little rewind - when Lily was born, we decorated the nursery in neutral colors. Even though we knew we were having a girl, my theory was that we would want to use the same bedding for all our future children, who may or may not be girls. Plus on the off chance that the ultrasound was wrong, we wouldn't be frantically painting over pink walls. So we went neutral. Here are some pictures I dug up:




That nursery bedding did indeed serve us well for our first two children, although ironically they both were girls so we could've gone with something a little more feminine. 

When it came time to think about this nursery, however, we both decided that we wanted to make a change - our crib sheets had holes in them, that adorable pillow had the stuffing pulled out of it thanks to our darling second born, and the crib blanket has become Sophia's special blankie - her "soft blankie" as she calls it. 

So new nursery decor it was. I knew I wanted to go with something that wasn't too babyish and could easily transition to a big boy room. Initially I suggested to Dave that we go with a vintage Syracuse theme (his fave college team) doing navy, gray and orange with some vintage sports touches. He liked the idea of navy and orange, but instead of the vintage sports we went with a kind of "explorer" theme. Dave calls it "baby Indiana Jones" :)

We liked something kind of like this, only with navy as well.


So here's what we ended up with:


Clearly, Pottery Barn should be hiring me to take pictures for their catalog given the stellar quality of my photographs ;) 

We didn't end up getting a bedding set because we never used the crib bumper with our first two. Instead, we just got a crib sheet and crib skirt from Target - they have so many more adorable options available now than when I was pregnant with Lily! Dave's mom is going to make us a crib size quilt as well.






I actually can't show you the very top of the bookcase because it has a letter on it that just so happens to be the first initial of the baby's name - and that's top secret for now ;)

And, because I know you will ask:

Tiger Pillow Cover: Pottery Barn (no longer available online, $24.99 in the store)
Crib Sheet: Target
Crib Skirt: Target
Curtains: Target (noticing a theme here? :)
Floating Picture Frame: Target
Big Wall Map: World Market (purchased at a discount because it had some imperfections on it!!)
Wicker Basket for Laundry: TJ Maxx
Wicker Toy Basket: TJ Maxx
Bookshelf: Local furniture store
Wooden Growth Ruler: purchased locally (we still need to hang that up!)

The crib, changing table and glider we already had. Although...the glider is broken and doesn't rock. #thirdbabyprobs

So, there you have it! Just waiting on baby Indiana Jones to come settle in. Which, after my doctors appointment this morning, doesn't look likely to happen anytime soon :/ Getting lots of opportunities to work on my patience this month!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Love it!! I especially love the throw pillow. You are so good at putting stuff together! If we ever move you're going to have to come help me :)

Kelly said...

Amazing nursery!! Absolutely love it!

Unknown said...

Cute!

 
Images by Freepik