Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jul 28, 2014

Weekend Update

Good morning, friends!

Hope you all had a refreshing weekend! For the first time in a long time, we had a nice low-key "normal" feeling weekend. It was wonderful!

Friday night is usually our pizza night. For something different this time, I made a version of Old Chicago's Sicilian Pepperoni Rolls.



I kind of combined a few different recipes and wasn't really sure how they would turn out...they ended up being super yummy! I'm going to try to write it down so I can remember it and I'll hopefully share it here once I do!

After supper the girls and I went for a walk to play at our neighborhood park while Dave gave Luke a bath, put him to bed, and cleaned up the kitchen. 

*Sidenote: Dave is AWESOME about helping me clean up after dinner almost every night and he's made the effort to learn how to do it the way I like it...it's probably one of the sweetest things he does for me...he knows that my love language is acts of service! Forget the flowers, help around the house is my preferred expression of affection!!

Speaking of cleaning...Saturday mornings are when we get most of our deep cleaning accomplished. I take the upstairs, Dave takes the main level, the girls pick up their room and occasionally help me with the dusting or bathrooms. This isn't how we've always done it, and I kind of hate that I need help in this area, but it's working in this season of life.



This is what happens when you don't fold your clean laundry for two weeks...

While I was tackling Mount Laundry, I decided to turn on an episode of The Pioneer Woman to watch while I folded. The girls were playing in a different area of the house, but it wasn't long before this happened:



If you turn on The Pioneer Woman, they will come :) It just so happened that on this episode, her boys were making their own "clubhouse", which led to this:





This is the area under the stairs in our basement. The girls claimed it as their "clubhouse" when we moved but hadn't really done anything with it. Watching the show inspired them to start working on it! I had to give them a little guidance (aka, let's not take all the cushions off the couch to cover the floor) - Dave had the idea of using the Christmas lights - they loved it! So cute!

As I was folding laundry, I looked at these piles of little clothes and just felt so unbelievably grateful. Two daughters and a son! 



Later that afternoon, I took Lily "school shopping". Back to school shopping with my mom is one of my favorite memories from when I was a kid. I was that nerdy bookworm that got excited about new school supplies :)

Even though we are homeschooling, this will be Lily's first year of "official" school and I still want her first day of Kindergarten to be a big deal for her. I'm hoping she (and some day Sophia and Luke) might have the same fond "Back to School Shopping" memories that I do.

A couple of weeks ago, I was super excited to learn that there was a Gap Factory Store in a town nearby! I like the Gap Factory Store even more than the regular Gap, not just because they have super good deals, but also because the clothes they have there just seem to fit my style a little more. I had a coupon to use, so we headed there to get a couple of new clothing items. 

I buy almost all of the kids'clothes a season ahead and shop end of season of clearance, consignment and thrift stores, and garage sales so I can get high quality clothes for less. However, Lily is a little hard to fit in pants - she's tall and skinny so pants that are long enough are often too big in the waist and vice versa. I've found that the Slim jeans at Gap fit her best, and I'm willing to pay a little more for them because of that.


We were lucky to find some cute jeans in her size that were on clearance - we ended up paying around $8 for them! We also got this clearanced dress for less than $5!  She can wear it this fall with a jean jacket and boots and it should still fit her next summer. 



Lily was sooo cute trying clothes on. She's definitely a girly girl and I love sharing moments like this with her! 

Our next stop was Target for school supplies. I had a coupon for Buy One Get One Free frappucinos that I'd been saving for just such an occasion :) Double Chocolatey Chip for her and Mocha Cookie Crumble for me. Sweet girl decided to save part of her drink to take home to her sister! I tried very unsuccessfully to take a picture of us with our drinks...



I don't even understand what happened here. Why are we on a postage stamp? Whatever man. #ihateselfies

This little guy came with us, because he has yet to take a bottle and we were going to be gone for awhile. He spent most of our time in Gap doing this:



But after a few minutes in Target he was D-O-N-E, done.

I spent most of our time in there trying to bounce and hold him to keep him from crying with one hand while pushing the double stroller with the other. If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "You've got your hands full," I'd have...about ten dollars ;) But we made it through, got our supplies and headed home. You've gotta go with the flow when you have a newborn!

Monday morning = lots of coffee and low key activities.

Hope your day is great!

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik