We are back from spending a week of vacation with my entire family on a lake in Minnesota! We've been trying for several years now to find a time and a place that could accommodate our large group - there are 20 of us in all! And to be honest, I was beginning to think it just wasn't going to happen. But then this summer, miracle of miracles, we were able to find a week that worked for all of us, and a cabin that would hold us.
And then the cabin fell through.
And we started searching for other places but everything was too expensive or booked solid.
But THEN! We ran across a resort with a fabulous lodge that would hold every single one of us and it was available for a reduced price for five days at the time we needed it! Everything fell into place so perfectly, and I'm so grateful the Lord worked it out this way. Though we would love to make this a yearly thing, it just isn't likely that will happen and I'm so grateful for the time we had together there!
I think it's safe to say that this resort totally ruined me for any other resort. It was by far the best place we've ever been!
It wasn't fancy but it was clean and comfortable. They had free activities for the kids every day - crafts, turtle races, a nature walk, a sand castle building contest.
A huge stretch of sandy beach. Kayaks, canoes, water bikes, standing paddle boards, all free.
They served ice cream sundaes on Sunday night, and had a party on Thursday night with ribs, live music and a little limbo :)
We rented a pontoon for the week but the only thing we caught were crayfish...
Seriously! One day it was super windy and a ton of crayfish washed up on the beach. We got two big bucketfuls and boiled them. The guys were bummed that the fishing wasn't better, but according to the dock boy at the resort, it's been an off year. I didn't really care about the fishing :)
They also offered free water skiing and tubing in the afternoons. And on Friday morning, the most AMAZING homemade donuts I have ever tasted!
Before we left I had been feeling like we really hadn't had much of a summer - having a newborn, while wonderful in many ways, tends to inhibit your ability to get out of the house sometimes :). This was the PERFECT end to summer for us. We got to be outside, enjoying the sun and the sand and the water with some of the people we love the most. Each family took turns cooking so we got a break the rest of the week. The girls made priceless memories and wore themselves slap out with their cousins.
And if you know my family, you know there is never a dull moment. We are a goofy bunch :) We made so many fun memories - like my dad falling into the lake, fully clothed ;)
But now we are back and throwing ourselves full swing into the months ahead. September brings the start of Kindergarten for Lily - I'm so glad we are homeschooling or I'd be in a puddle right now - and of course, birthdays and family pictures and our first day of homeschool co-op and football and bonfires and AWANA and all the pumpkin things!
Before vacation I was desperately holding onto summer, but now I'm ready to embrace fall. Routine and schedule - we need it!



No comments:
Post a Comment