Remember when I posted my New Year’s Resolutions? Well, one of the my goals that I DIDN’T mention was that I wanted to try to sew something this year. I’ve got an entire folder in my Favorites links dedicated to projects I’d like to try.
Rewind to last Saturday. We took an impromptu trip to the mall where I happened upon the CAH-UTEST little Valentine’s outfit at Gymboree.
It was sweet. It was adorable. It was…$112.75!!!!
Seriously, had I bought each of those matching pieces that’s how much it would have cost me. And I mean, I love me a cute outfit but that is what we call A WASTE OF MONEY.
So the wheels started turning…and I started thinking…couldn’t I MAKE a cute little Valentine’s outfit for Lily?
I started looking back through my links and found two sewing projects that I thought I could handle and I started getting creative.
Except…I’m not really very creative.
On a scale of 1 to Martha Stewart, I’d say I’m about a negative 5.
But that didn’t stop me. It probably should have, but it didn’t.
The first project I attempted was a pair of Baby Legs. You can find tutorials for these all over the Internet. I used the one here.
Seriously, these are like the easiest things ev-ah. It should take 20 minutes, tops.
It took me 3 hours.
And I ended up with this:
Something told me that’s not how they were supposed to look…and after much head scratching and brow furrowing, I figured out my mistake. Luckily, those were my “practice socks”.
Here’s how the real ones turned out:
Not too shabby – if you look closely you can see that my stitches aren’t exactly straight, but when they’re on Lily, you really can’t even tell {at least that’s what I tell myself}.
Next up was the shirt. My super cool bloggy friend Kim is always doing fun little projects and I got this idea from her. I got myself a plain white shirt, a scrap of pink fabric, and some ribbon.
Cut out a heart and applied it to the shirt using Wonder Under. So far, so good.
At this point, I thought to myself, “Self, do you really need to sew around the edge of the heart? It looks like it’s fastened pretty securely with that Wonder Under there. Why don’t you just call it a day?”
But, no. Of course, I couldn’t just leave well enough alone. I just thought that the zig-zag stitch that Kim did around the edges of her appliqués were so cute and after all my machine HAS a zig-zag stitch feature on it, it does all the zigging and zagging for you I mean really HOW HARD CAN IT BE?
Well.
Pretty hard, apparently, if you’re me. Because as it turns out the machine won’t do EVERYTHING for you. Like, for example, the machine will not make your stitches straight.
Or turn corners for you.
Or keep you from accidentally sewing the front of the shirt to the back of the shirt.
*AHEM*
It took me six an embarrassing number of attempts during which I stitched and then ripped out stitches and stitched some more and ripped out some more stitches and the final product still looked like it had been sewn by a drunken sailor.
It was at this point that I decided that the crooked stitches were just going to have to do because the very thought of redoing it all pretty much made me want gouge out my eyes with the seam ripper.
I think the crookedness sort of adds to the charm, don’t you? (Don’t answer that)
At any rate, the shirt, fabric, socks, and Wonder Under only cost me a whopping $8.57 which beats spending over a hundred dollars any day.
And as Dave reminded me – Lily doesn’t care. And she still looks stinkin’ cute, if I do say so myself :)



20 comments:
Adorable Amy! And I can not imagine spending that kind of money, either. Occasionally I find Gymboree on Ebay that I get for Autumn!
I started trying to sew, too... I got a bib and matching burp cloth made! :)
Love it! You just opened a door to a whole wonder of things....growing up, mom made all of my clothes and my sister's...and we LOVED it because A) we got so many more clothes that way and B) we weren't dressed like everyone else....much better than everyone else! We didn't have to worry that anyone else was going to walk into the local JC Penney or Maurice's and buy the same thing.
So...or sew....you go girl!!
xo Amy Lackey
yay for you! LOVE her little outfit! those little leggins are so cute.
you have inspired me to get out my sewing machine and try to create something..... maybe a little shirt for sarah? i'll have to check out those leggins too
I'm impressed! Very cute. :)
Oh my! That is sooo cute!
Awesome job! Those leggings are
adorable. Seriously cute.
I wish I could sew! I pretty much just hot glue everything together.
super cute! This makes me glad, though....that Valentine's outfits aren't really for little boys :)
Way to be industrious and wise with your money! So proud of you! We share a common issue with sewing machines...maybe we could tackle something together sometime?!
Love those baby legs!!!!! I'm going to have to check out that tutorial. Seriously the shirt really is cute! You had me cracking up though with all your mishaps :)
Good job! Love the leggings!
Ohhh! You are seriously brave and awesome. I really want to sew too. I have a machine. And really - I shouldn't be so scared of it. I AM bigger than it. But, alas, I am. :) You do inspire though...
I LOVE What you did!
SEW CUTE!!!
You're so modest about your creative bones, but really you are awesome and you know it. :) That outfit is adorable - I especially love the baby legs! The best part, of course, is Lily's smile. I think she likes it too! Good job, mama!
You are being modest...those baby legs are ADORABLE. Makes me want a girl!
Adorable! Those baby legs are too cute! The whole outfit say lovey all over it!
*No one else likes to pay the $$$ at Gymboree either! Last year I found all the Valentine's clothing for $1.99! It, of course, was April, but I stocked up! Definitely not as cute as your charming work!
I love it! All! And, that may be the cutest baby... ever! =)
And, don't fear about the straight lines sewing on the shape. Mine are never straight - I call it character. haha....
Those leggings are killing me!
You did great, Amy! Super Adorable. Of course, you know I'm quite the Martha Stewart. ;)
Crooked NOTHING! That outfit rocks! I bow down :)
Love it!!!
Yeah, Gymboree clothes are gorgeous but SOO overpriced. I went to their outlet in Destin, FL last year, and even their "outlet" prices are more than I'd want to pay. You did a great job!
Hi,
Thanks for the link to the baby legs tutorial. I'm glad it worked out in the end :)
In a follow up "baby legs" post a few weeks back, I made the exact same heart baby legs too! Cute cute.
Cute heart shirt for your daughter as well. Great post!
Thanks Again,
Diane
Very cute...and thrifty and crafty and all that! :) She looks darling!
Post a Comment