Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 27, 2010

A Really Long Birthday Post With Lots of Pictures

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this before but I love planning parties. Well, on a relatively small scale, anyway. I’m not so sure I could ever do the whole wedding planner thing – too much pressure.

But a birthday party for an adorable little two year old? Sign.me.up!

I really had very little idea what I was going to do for Lily’s second birthday – we’d done the princess thing already – so I just started looking around on the Internet to try and get inspiration. And can I just say? There is no shortage of inspiration for party ideas on the Internet.

Somewhere along the way, someone {I can’t remember who} told me about this website called Kara’s Party Ideas and oh my word, if you want to see some elaborate parties, go check this out. Like, wow. That’s all I have to say.

As much as I would have loved to have a ginormous, elaborate party for Lily, I knew I needed to be a little more practical due to the fact that, you know, we have a budget. And I really didn’t want to have to start working a second job just to pay for a party!

But I was able to get some really fabulous ideas from Kara’s website, and from those ideas, a party was born.

Would you like to take a peek? Welcome to…

Lily’s Sweet Shoppe

September 2010 004Blurred

I made the invitations using cardstock, wrapping paper and ribbon – super simple. Although I must say, I was glad I only had to make 10 of them – those of you that make your own wedding invitations? You’re amazing. I couldn’t dream of having to do that 300 times over!

September 2010 010 September 2010 016

September 2010 011 For decoration, I used glass jars and vases that I already had and filled them with candy. And by the way, the candy was by far the biggest splurge out of all the things I decorated with. I think I bought six bags at $4 a piece – so that’s something like $24 for gumballs and sixlets? Ridiculous. But the great thing was, it doubled as both decorations and party favors.

I used a white tablecloth that we already had and rolled out a section of the same wrapping paper that that I had used on the invitations down the middle. The wrapping paper cost me $3.00 and was something else that served double duty– I used it for the invitations, the decorations, and the presents. And I’ve got some leftover to use for wrapping future presents!

September 2010 012I decided to make cupcakes instead of a big cake this year {due to all my cake decorating related issues :) } I just decorated them with chocolate frosting and candy – so much less stressful (for me) than trying to make a big cake!

The jumbo cupcake in the middle was Lily’s and it actually came from Target bakery {thanks to my friend Katie for that tip!} It only cost me $1.99 and I couldn’t believe how great they matched their cake to my decorations!

September 2010 014

For “party favors” each of the kids got to fill a bag of candy to take home – with a toothbrush attached of course :)

The bags were $.25 each and the toothbrushes cost $.75 each – and I’m really not sure why I keep telling you how much everything cost except maybe to prove that you really can throw a party on a budget!September 2010 015

And of course, we can’t leave out pictures of the little girl who gave us a reason to celebrate!

September 2010 004

She is in this goofy stage of really hamming it up for the camera so most of our pictures of her look like this:

September 2010 003 September 2010 018 September 2010 019 September 2010 020 I love her :)     

Last year I think she was a little bewildered by all the attention and spent most of her time looking like this:

755 But this year she was loving every second of it:

September 2010 041

It was such a fun party to plan and such a fun celebration…but can I just let out a big sigh of relief because PHEW!

I think we’re officially partied out. This weeks plans consist of eating leftover cupcakes and playing with all our fun new toys.  I don’t think Lily will have any objections to that :)

12 comments:

peter marie said...

Harper's 2nd birthday party idea...check. :)

So A-dorable! I love all the polka dots and fun colors. Absolutely cute. Way to go!

Happy Birthday to a sweet and beauty of a girl...and I love her boots!

Kathi said...

That party was cute and a greatttt budget!

The Haase's said...

WOW!! Super cute party. I wish I was as creative as you. Happy birthday Miss Lily!

Anonymous said...

Adorable party, it turned out fantastic! And your idea of attaching a toothbrush to the candy? LOVE IT! Happy Birthday, Lily :)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

What a cutie! Love all your party ideas! I may have to jump in the copycat line!

une autre mère said...

Great job, party mama!! Your decorating was fabulous - love the polka dots and candy theme! And especially the toothbrush idea. Might just have to copy that one... and WHERE did you find those adorable toothbrushes for 75 cents?!

Glad the jumbo cupcake deal worked out so well!

And of course, Happy Birthday, Lily!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I.love.it!!! All of it! So great.
I also love that Lily wore a striped shirt, denim skirt, and tights on her first and second birthdays. ;) ADORABLE!

Lisa said...

So adorable! I may steal some of your ideas for Madeline's third birthday in the spring :)

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

What a cute party! Love the colors! Look's like it was a great birthday!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

What a fun party! Love the colors and all the details. And, that little cutie, too. She's gotten so big when you compare the photos. Amazing!

H-Mama said...

Oh my goodness, what. a. cu. tie!

I hereby crown you queen of parties. Adorable. The End. ;)

{haha! the captcha is "bargen". i know it's not spelled perfectly, but funny, yes??}

mommy baum said...

What an adorable birthday party! I am so glad that Lily was able to enjoy having her day be special before baby #2 arrives......thinking of you as our "due date" gets closer......

and I'm enjoying the fall weather with you as well!!!

 
Images by Freepik