Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 7, 2010

We Put the Labor in Labor Day

And no, I’m not talking about labor as in childbirth.

Although – side note – a friend of mine from college who was due the EXACT same day as me had her baby this weekend – 5 weeks early! So, anything’s possible. But I’m not getting my hopes up.

Anyway!

This weekend was full of labor of a different kind for us. We got lots of fun and some not-so-fun projects crossed off our Before Baby Comes to do list.

I spent all day Saturday in the kitchen cooking freezer meals for after the baby is born. I have to admit, I was reallllly not looking forward to this. The weather was gorgeous and I would’ve loved nothing more than to have just spent the whole day lounging outside with my two favorite people.

But previous experience has taught me that having a well stocked freezer during those first few months post-partum is a major lifesaver. So I went through with it. Here’s what I accomplished:

September 2010 003 

White Chicken Chili
Taco Roll Ups
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken Noodle Soup
Taco Soup
Spinach Lasagna
Breakfast Burritos
Pasta Sauce
Butterhorns
Lasagna
Stuffed Shells
Tatertot Casserole
BBQ Meatballs
Chicken Chalupa

 

 

 

Since we never eat an entire 9 x 13 pan in one sitting, I split most of those recipes in two – so we’ll be able to eat them on two separate days. I also froze some shredded cooked chicken for using in recipes, some chopped yellow and white onions, and some cooked shredded pork.

I told Dave that I was going to be sure to let everyone know that he was keeping me barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen all day ;)

While I was slaving away in the kitchen, Dave and Lily had a special “daddy daughter day” that included:

- a trip to the park
- a shared Strawberry Frappucino for a snack
- a visit to the library for stories and puzzles
- Happy Meals at McDonalds
- watching a new Elmo DVD
- and lots and lots of playtime outside

It’s no wonder that the next morning when I went to pick Lily up out of her crib the first thing she asked was, “Where'd Daddy go?” She pretty much thinks he’s the best dad ever {and I’m inclined to agree :) }

I wasn’t the only one hard at work this weekend though. Dave used up a bunch of our tomatoes from the garden to make a big batch of homemade salsa, cleaned out both our cars and installed the infant car seat in the van.

And yesterday I finished making the curtains for Lily’s room. This weekend’s plans include painting and setting up both the baby and Lily’s rooms and {gulp} transitioning Lily to her Big Girl Bed.

So! That was our weekend! How was yours?

14 comments:

mommy baum said...

Amy,

Sounds like you were super productive! You will be sooooo glad that you have all that done! I am thrilled with what we had crossed off our list.....but obviously there are quite a few things that we didn't get to yet. ;)

I will still be following along with your pregnancy progress, and hope that you have a full-term healthy lil' baby! Sorry that I didn't wait for you......Hendrix just had other plans!

Take care!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Well I just about fell off my chair when I read the title! Phew! Looks like you got a lot of cooking done, that will be so helpful when the new little love arrives!

une autre mère said...

Woah, girl! You put me to shame! That is such a smart idea. I wish I would've done that for all 3 of mine! And I know those meatballs will be super tasty since I've been lucky enough to receive some from you! And don't forget, i'll totally be bringing you a meal too! :)

Kristi said...

I'm very impressed Amy, that's a lot of food for one day of baking. I might have to try a few of those recipes when I have my next baking day.
What a special day for Lily and Dave too. Those Daddy & kids outings are so fun for the kids, and us moms so happy to. (Not just for the time alone, but to see how excited the kids get to do something with dad).

H-Mama said...

Oh my! I'm beyond impressed. If only I'd been this organized. Love the Daddy/Daughter date, too! Precious!

Jenn said...

Awesome work! I have been working the last two wednesdays making a few extra meals but not nearly that many all at once. Actually the next day I am so tired I can hardly do anything. Now I am just having a hard time not digging into the already made food :o) Thanks for the recipe links I may use a few of those if I find some more energy.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I am so proud of you for getting all of that hard work done ahead of time! I know it makes for a L O N G day of cooking - but I have done it and it is the best thing ever!!!!

becky said...

WOW!! I'm so impressed! What a productive day that you will be so glad for later!

Tara said...

WOW - I am super-duper impressed! I can't wait to check out some of your recipes! :)

Any chance we could get a peek at Dave's salsa recipe??? ;)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Wowza! That's one impressive stocked freezer!!! Great thinking!
Our weekend was much more laaaazy! I think we were just catching our breath from a busy summer to gear up for an even busier fall! Love it all, though! :)

Anonymous said...

you just gave me a bunch of recipes I am going to use this winter. I have wanted to do stocking up before both kids were born and wasn't too good about it. But with #3 on the way, I am going to use your recipes and do the same thing :-)
Becky Haase

Ann@StringerMama said...

Don't delete this post Amy! I'm going to use your idea and possibly recipes too to prepare for our little one to arrive in April - awesome idea! Love it!

This Heavenly Life said...

Girl! You just shot yourself in the foot! I told everyone I knew that I'd stocked my freezer with a few weeks worth of meals for after the baby was born, and NOBODY brought me food! I mean, I was prepared, but...I was honestly expecting to be fed by my family before I had to start using my own stash!

But it turned out okay :)

And I second those above: Good work, mama! You're a rockstar!

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Awesome!! I need to steal some of your recipes, as this is still on our to-do list. (I say "our", because hubby loves to cook and will be helping, or rather me helping him, lol!) Also, our truck needs cleaned too and all three other full-sized car seats out, washed, and put back in fresh before the baby's goes in. Ugh. Now that's a big job!!

 
Images by Freepik