Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Feb 2, 2011

I’m Only Going to Say This Once…

I hate winter. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

Phew. Feels good to have that out of my system. Moving on to happier things…

This weekend we had a baby shower for a sweet girl in the small group Bible study that meets at our house on Wednesday nights. I think I’ve mentioned before, I just love planning parties! And it helps to be in a small group with such amazingly talented and crafty ladies.

We did an owl theme {which I’m totally going to do for one of the girl’s birthdays this fall}. So cute!

January 2011 005

Love this idea – drinks served in Ball canning jars!January 2011 007

And the piece de resistance…

January 2011 006

Is that cake not amazing? And no, I wasn’t the one who made it {Yeah. Right. Like you would actually think that.}

It’s the creative masterpiece of Deann – she’s the one waaay over on the left-hand side of this picture: January 2011 011

She also happens to be the one who made these burp rags and super cute car seat cover for me. She made a car seat cover for Stephanie and baby Kipton, too. Also super cute.

I’ve been after her to start her own Etsy shop because, seriously? She could make some money. She’s thinking about it. You all would buy stuff from her, wouldn’t you? ;)

So, anyway. That was the weekend. And today I’m just trying to ignore the piles of snow outside and the frigid temperatures and focus on my blessings:

Instead of complaining about the cold I will…
be thankful that we have warm clothes, shoes, gloves, hats,blankets, and a house to keep us warm.

Instead of complaining about being stuck in the house I will…
be thankful that I have a house to be stuck in.

Instead of complaining about my husband’s work hours or the fact that he didn’t get a snow day today I will…
be thankful that my husband has a job…and he’s coming home tonight.

Here’s to choosing joy on this snowy, cold Wednesday!

7 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

What a super cute baby shower! I want to use those owls, too!
I know Deann! We went to college together! Yes, keep on her to start an etsy store! I'm going to need all sorts of baby items soon!

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

My friend did an owl theme for her daughter's 1st and it turned out soo cute!
Sorry about your weather, although I do miss living in a climate that has 4 seasons, I feel bad for you!

~Marcella

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Are you kidding me??! That cake is crazy amazing. I'm so jealous. I want to be able to do that. :)

And yes.... January felt like it was 5 years long. I'll tell you what my sister told me this week - She said that It is finally February, which is a super short month, so it is basically almost March - and spring is in March, so it is almost spring.

Yeah. For sure.

:)

PS- owls make absurdly happy. I don't even know why.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

LOVE the theme and the colors! It looks amazing. Love the pennants and the glasses. Great job!

black tag diaries said...

love, love, love the party decorations! the owl theme is adorable! and that cake is AMAZING.

love the last few lines on this post... choosing to be thankful... such a good reminder! you should link this post up to my thankful thursday post today...

une autre mère said...

Hey, I know Deann too! I knew she was an awesome girl, but I had no idea how crafty she was!

What an adorable party! Love your decorations and that cake is truly amazing!

Great reminder to be thankful for what God has blessed us with. After living in western Michigan for 5 years, I've realized just how blessed we are in Iowa to have SUNNY winter days. I will cherish every bit of sun we get!

Michelle said...

i hate winter too. seriously, who like being cold? i guess all those people who say, oh, i just love winter!

what a beautiful set up for the shower! beautiful cake. and i totally think your friend should set up an etsy shop.

i'm lovin' all the owl stuff that's out right now

 
Images by Freepik