Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Aug 5, 2010

Master Bedroom Redo

This week Sarah…you all know Sarah, right? If you don’t, you need to just get yourselves on over to her blog and check her out because she’s only, like, one of the most talented home decor bloggers out there.

Anyway.

This week Sarah is hosting her monthly Before and After party and I decided it would be the perfect time to do the big dramatic reveal of our master bedroom redo.

I know!

I mean, I droned on and on and on about it and then I never showed you pictures. I’m sure you’ve all been waiting with bated breath for this very moment ;) Or {most likely} you forgot all about it until I mentioned it just now :)

Either way, today you get to see the results.

So here’s pretty much how the bedroom looked when we moved in:

003 004 005

Plain walls, mismatched hand-me-down furniture, glider rocker shoved in the corner because we didn’t have a better place to put it :)

And now, many months, some new furniture, and a couple of coats of paint later, here’s the after:

August 2010 013   August 2010 018 August 2010 019 

August 2010 020 August 2010 011  August 2010 022See that little cutie that snuck into the picture up there? :)

And yes, I know my super cool zebra print jewelry box doesn’t really fit the decor, but its all I have for now :)

August 2010 023And for those who are interested, here are some of the details of what we did:

  Obviously one of the biggest changes was the furniture. When we moved into this house we had budgeted a portion of our tax rebate to purchasing new furniture, including replacing our bedroom furniture. We didn’t spend a fortune on it, but we didn’t buy it from a thrift store either, so it wasn’t necessarily an inexpensive change.

Apart from that, I tried very hard not to spend much money on the accessories.

I showed you how I made the pillows out of placemats here:

August 2010 019And the bedding I had drooled over at Pottery Barn and then was pleasantly surprised to find that Target had a “knock-off” version of sorts for a fraction of the price!

The “curtains” are actually canvas painter’s dropcloth drapes – thanks to my friend Emily for referring me to Layla’s blog for that idea! They cost just a little over $9.00/piece – seriously NINE DOLLARS for window treatments people! You can’t beat that!

August 2010 007 I love them so much I’ve actually considered putting them in our living room, too…would that be totally lame?

Oh, and the bamboo shades we got from J.C. Penney – on sale for 50% off plus a $20.00 off coupon.

I took some plain glass vases I had hanging out in the basement and hot glued some hemp around them to make these:

August 2010 026   And I found some clearance vase filler and this apothecary jar for only $10 at T.J. Maxx:

 August 2010 031

If I wanted to be really cool, I’d tell you that I found this green glass jar at a thrift store and fashioned it into a lamp…but the truth is…it’s from Target :)August 2010 016

Most of the other things – picture frames, candles, baskets, etc. – were things I already had around the house!

Oh, and the paint colors – in case you were curious, we used Sherwin Williams’ “Threshold Taupe” for three of the walls and the green window wall is Dutch Boy “Dried Thyme”.

So, one more time, let’s compare:

003

August 2010 014

This is officially my favorite room in the house. Probably because it’s the only one that’s completely decorated :)

If you’re a total sucker for Before and After pictures, head over to Sarah’s for more!

7 comments:

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

Your room looks great! Love the bedding.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Love it! It's amazing - I love the curtains, too. I'm thinking I may need the curtains in the dining room. And, of course I love the bedding cause I have the same bedding. But, most of all - LOVE the furniture. The dresser esp. is perfection.

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Looks GREAT!!! :)

Unknown said...

Nicely done! It looks really good!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Beautiful!!! I love everything about your new fancy room! :)

beccarankin said...

Wow! Great job!

une autre mère said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I nearly missed this post! I absolutely LOVE it! Every single little bit! You did a FABULOUS job!!! And the curtains - GENIUS! I heart redo's and yours has me drooling. ;)

 
Images by Freepik